Wierd Rose Problem

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Wierd Rose Problem

Post by aykhan »

The flowers on some of my roses are getting smaller and twisted despite the weather getting better. Some buds are not opening and the leaves are all curly. I'm attaching a couple of pics. I have not used any fertilizer or foliar. Any ideas pleas?
Attachments
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG (86.63 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG (92.75 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Re: Wierd Rose Problem

Post by dragoonsers »

I am no expert. Maybe Umar Khan can help.

But i see that you water your leaves as well. Try not to get the buds wet when the flower is about to open. There are some insects which also affect buds from opening. Hope someone else can help u :)
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

In my opinion it is Powdery Mildew.
Powdery Mildew is a fungal disease that affects the leaves and stems of a plant. The infected plant first develops white powder-like spots, which increase in size and become thicker as many spores form. This is can cause the leaves and buds to deform. It also infects flowers, causing them to develop abnormally or fail to open.

To prevent Powdery Mildew do not water your roses or garden after dark or in late evening.
American Rose Society suggests baking soda for control of Powdery Mildew & all other fungal diseases. Use 3 teaspoon of baking soda per gallon of water. You can also add one tablespoon cooking oil for sticking purpose.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I've been thinking its some kind of a fungal infection and sprayed the roses with an anti fungal. However, this does not seem like powdery mildew. I don't see any powdery stuff. I'm actually not every sure if it is just a fungal problem or could be some deficiency. The leaves color seem alright. When it was hotter I thought it might be the heat but that's not the case right now.
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

What are the silvery spots on the leaves, are they stains of water droplets? If yes, than I misjudged the problem. Are these symptoms present?
“Rosebuds fail to open and are covered with a grayish brown, fuzzy mold. Open flowers are flecked with yellow or brown and lower petals are wilted and brown. The stems below infected flowers become discolored.” Botrytis blight, also called gray mold, a fungus disease that spreads in moist air and cool temperatures.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I think it might be botrytis blight then, maybe in a milder form. I don't know why some of the leaves especially the new ones are deshaped? The leaf spots are water marks. I did spray an anti fungal and will probably
Ynspray again in another week. thanks.
LKJH52094
City: dublin

Post by LKJH52094 »

Rose will grow to a certain extent the case, but should not be wilted leaves, irrigation methods can I ask you what?
Last edited by mirafzalkhan on November 8th, 2011, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don’t post any irrelevant images or links.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Aoa Khan sb i think its downy mildew.the brown patches look like downy.please use some fungicides which is anti downy.it happens when the day night tem differs so much & the conditions are rainy.one tip let me give you take some infected foliage & google for downy mildew.comp you foliage with the image.actually there are many diseases which threat roses.i m expecting it downy cause its also effecting the buds.note the barks are they turning deep brown & dieing back.cutoff the infected branches with 1 inch green base.please post some more clear pictures of the leaves.please avoid sprinkling water on the foliage specially in evening times.try to water roses early in the morning time.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Thanks Umar. I am posting 3 more pics. The under side of the leaves have brown streaks. The blurred picture shows how the leaves look curled. I am also posting a picture of the soil around one of the rose beds which has a slight rust color also. I'm thinking its either downy mildew, botrytis blight or rose rust disease. Will they all be treated with a fungicide? Do you recommend any? I got a packet from pride seeds and it has no instructions on what strength and how to prepare. It's painful to be cutting off long canes in plants only just starting to grow significantly.
Attachments
A rusty color in the soil bed. Could this be fungus too?
A rusty color in the soil bed. Could this be fungus too?
IMG_0974.JPG (167.57 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
Curly leaves. The red sppts is the recent keri paint.
Curly leaves. The red sppts is the recent keri paint.
IMG_0966.JPG (82.02 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
Reddish brown streaks on the underside.
Reddish brown streaks on the underside.
IMG_0968.JPG (72.36 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Its Downy mildew.its because of wet & cool nights.use Bayer,s Aliette.remove all infected leaves & throw it far away.it has even attacked my dahlia plants.Dr sb visit a good reportable agri store,i mean the professional growers stores.another thing i noted the soil is wet,covered with algae,are your plants in shady location.damp,shady location in cool nights causes in Downy specially in Pansies.

Return to “Roses”