fertilisers for roses

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: fertilisers for roses

Post by khabbab »

Izhar thank you for detailed input. Although i grow only handful of roses that too in pots. In my experience roses are greedy feeders in pots specially if plant is older than 1 year. I experimented with frequent foliar feeding intentionally to see if leaves burn but my potted roses always took the food. My sharifa asma did not like the acidic soil i do not know why although roses generally like slightly acidic soil and my water is alkaline PH is 8.

BTW from where to get the wood ash ?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Sharifa asma own root or centifolia grafted??

Foliar feeding is excellent if done regularly.. wood/charcoal ash can be collected from BBQ shops..
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Izhar wrote:Sharifa asma own root or centifolia grafted??
Grafted, but not sure grafted on centifolia or fortuniana.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Grafted ones dont show variation with soil pH.. centifolia is used mostly which grows well in alkaline soils..
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Good detailed info Izhar. Here are my observations regarding fertilizing of roses. For me roses proved to be feed lover and they always responded to feed whether in pot or in soil bed. Slow regular applications is always proved good as you mentioned.
Observed the best result with using mix of manure+compost( improves soil texture and trace elements) in Dec-Jan. Then in summer fortnightly application of NP+SSP or NPK+SSP with deep water. No need to feed in very hot months ie June and July. Off and On foliar NPK(Growmore or other) act as tonic.
Always use diluted soln or less application of granules as required because more concentrated/heavy application could prove lethal while less can be covered in regular applications. Roses love the moist fertile soils not like soggy or dry soils at all.
Rafique
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Guys, please consider the Phosphate fertilizer issue. What I have read and experimented that Phosphate is least required after initial application. We all get crinkled leaves problem during summers and sometimes in winter too.. this is mainly due to unavailability of mic ro-nutrients due to high Phosphate concentration.. when you apply Phosphate it doesn't leaches out easily nor taken up by rose readily (this was evident when NPK of rose plants was analyzed)..

SSP works better then DAP because it contains Calcium!!

Rafique bhai, please do try ONLY Calcium nitrate and Potassium Sulfate on any of your potted roses... you will find a marked difference in overall health of your rose...

In my area low/No fed roses (in ground) are much better than high fed roses which are fed with NPK, SSP and DAP...
rafique

Post by rafique »

Izhar wrote: Rafique bhai, please do try ONLY Calcium nitrate and Potassium Sulfate on any of your potted roses... you will find a marked difference in overall health of your rose...
I will try Insha-Allah.
Izhar wrote:
In my area low/No fed roses (in ground) are much better than high fed roses which are fed with NPK, SSP and DAP...
May be your soil beds are already rich in minerals(Well prepared) and you would probably need fertilizer in ground in a year or two?? Its really amazing fact.
Rafique
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Rafique bhai, i planted roses in a bed near our area's mosque, they got an application of composted manure once a year and that's it!!
Our neighbour has planted roses 4-5 years back, they only give composted manure once a year, their roses are disease free and healthy.. they dont bother to spray any fertilizer whatsoever..

I grow roses which were well fed by NPK, SSP (as per your suggestion in 2014), they grew fast, bloomed well but were susceptible to pest attacks, crinkled leaves and death of two plants..!!

In a nursery nearby which has 3-4 thousand roses in pots of various sizes has very clean plants, he only gives them manure compost in spring and in October.. he gives NPK in December which is not more than 5-6 granules per 12 inch pot..

I am currently observing some old plants in pots in another nursery, the nurseryman has gave up hope, this plants neither grows well nor dies.. he has given them DAP in past and it was healthy but gradually the plants health decreased, I have asked to stop fertilizing at all and sprinkle on top of medium.. this observation-cum-experiment on one plant is now in its 12th day, the plant has started growing from 3 nodes.. at the moment I cannot assume it to be due to effect of ash.. if this procedure revives this plant then he may use it on all of his roses...
rafique

Post by rafique »

Thats great. It means we are usually over feeding the roses.It appears for most of the roses yearly application of manure and and compost should be sufficient. That is really helpful in getting the things simpler.
Last year happened to visit aurang kel (Nelam valley). There were many wild rose plants(having single petals in white color) in mountains. This area is covered with snow in winters and then flowers blooms in Mar-Apr (probably). This area is densely populated with different plants, bushes and trees. In fall and early winter leaves shed and with time this turns to compost and fertilizer. ie the one application of compost/fert yearly.
while in our homes roses are not like in their habitat so we give them some artificial support and at times we do mistakes. Also most of our roses are repeat bloomers so may need couple of low feed application for more blooms.
Also our tap water( mostly saline and gradually make our soil basic) have not the same composition of rain water as there in mountains.
It appears that things would not be complex as we are perceiving.
Rafique
Umair
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Post by Umair »

Aoa. Izhar Sb plz suggest a general purpose insecticide \ pesticide for roses.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Return to “Roses”