Gladiolus My Experience

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Gladiolus My Experience

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I got some Glad corms an average of I 1/2 inch diameter.
Stored them in a refrigerator and planted in pots on 1st, 15th and 30th of November. A few were also planted in ground with the last batch.
They all almost caught up and bloomed one after another but not at the same interval.
The percentage that bloomed was best in those in the ground.
All of those in pots were harvested a week ago while those in the ground are still green.

The results are as follows;

Some developed a larger corm over the old corm as the center two, some divided in to smaller corms as the two on the sides.

Almost all had many small corm-lets between the old and new corms.

The inference drawn from above is;
Planting in ground give better results.
As all corms planted at the same time do not bloom at the same time, so they are not good for planting in beds and should be planted in a corner for cut flowers.
Only large corms will bloom so plant small ones for fattening only.

Some bodies tell me what to do with the little seed like corms. Will they grow in to blooming size corms and if so in how many years?
When should I re plant them for fastest growth?
Arif
hassan167
City: gujrat

Re: Gladiolus My Experience

Post by hassan167 »

sir did u wash the bulb?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

hassan167 wrote:sir did u wash the bulb?
Hassan the old corms were separated and discarded the new corms washed dipped in anti fungal solution, dried in shade and stored in a shoe box. I am waiting for suggestions regarding seed corms.
Arif
Asim_Nawaz
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Dear Muhmmad Arif Khan Sb
As you written
Some bodies tell me what to do with the little seed like corms. Will they grow in to blooming size corms and if so in how many years?
Its better you know HOW MANY YEARS TO BECOME BLOOMING SIZE CORMS. Hope so we will wait for next 4 to 5 years.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Asim_Nawaz wrote:Dear Muhmmad Arif Khan Sb
As you written
Its better you know HOW MANY YEARS TO BECOME BLOOMING SIZE CORMS. Hope so we will wait for next 4 to 5 years.
If it is to take 4-5 years then it is not worth the effort.
hassan167
City: gujrat

Post by hassan167 »

sir glad corms ko laga dain after 3 month took them out like this way they take 8 month then thy will bloom
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

hassan167 wrote:sir glad corms ko laga dain after 3 month took them out like this way they take 8 month then thy will bloom
I am confused, I am talking about corm-lets I call seed corms.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

For the last five years I am growing them in pots, this is true that Glads are much happier in ground like most of flowering plants are, I have miserable experience with cormlets as they always died because of fungal diseases or they never grew out of soil when I put them in soil next season, just recently I have my first cormlet bloomed after three years. It is not easy to handle them or I must say ground is a better option , Brig. Sb. next year experience will help us more.

P.S : Initially I separated the cormlets from mother and they died but now I keep them with the mother plant, this tip may help .

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”