Viable Tubers for Our Climate

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Tubers

Post by khabbab »

My experience:
Agapanthus - They do grow but never any flowers. Thats why i do not plant them anymore.

Acidanthera - They should do fine. Never tried.

Alstroemeria - They grow very good in karachi, i have seen their flowers in karachi. The brazilian varities are more heat tolerant then south american ones. Zahrah nasir of Dawn suggested me that they will not grow in lahore. Never tried yet.

Allium - Small ones should flower in lahore but i tried once and they grew very well. Gone in monsoon. Small flowered ones should flower in lahore.

Belladonna - Internet says they grow good in hot climate but local growers do not have gud experience. My belladona does not grow dormant in winter which it should.

Crocus - tommy crocus will flower 3 bulbs out of 6. Not worth it.

Chlidanthus - Growing it for 2 years now. No flowers. It should go dormant in winter and first thing should be flowers first. I am hopeless now.

Eranthis - It grows good in lahore specially alba. Few plants in Lawrence gardens lahrore

Eucharis Amazonica - Saw it blooming in lahore. Needs shade and moisture.

Fritiliaria - Failure in lahore. Local growers tried some varieties from abroad but no success.

Ipheion - Flowers very good and keeps giving offsets. Spring flowered. I will try some bulbs this year.

Pieione - This is an orchid and will grow better in karachi. NEver tried.

Tulips - Tried species tulips but only few flowers after chilling. Not worth it.

Note: Pancritum maritimum is a common bulb in lahore. Brig Arif has hundreds of bulbs. I also got many at my old home http://www.lahoregardening.com/search/l ... 0maritimum.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Thank you Khabbab sb for joining in, really appreciate your experienced knowledge and suggestions I will update the list accordingly just one silly question is there any thing common in Hymenocallis and Pancritum maritimum because they look the same you can check the below link for reference

http://www.angliabulbs.com/hymenocallis ... c-130.html

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Tahir I'm a bit confused between Hymenocallis and pancratium because some variety look literally same check the link below for Hymenocallis look same as pancratium how to spot the not?
Hymenocallis and pancratium have huge differences among them, Firstly pancratium has leaves similar to daffodils (long bluish greenish slender) and they go dormant in summers...While hymenocallis festalis is evergreen in our climate and its leaves and flowers are lot larger than pancratium.

Common name of Pancratium is sea daffodil and hymenocallis festalis is called peruvian daffodil :D
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

This is a good topic,.

Members have mentioned a lot already but i suggest you not to forget "Society Garlics", magnificient bloomers and heat tolerant, will never dissapoint you.

moreover, Gladiolus is remarkable if you have a healthy corm at first, they are prolific bloomers in the spring of Pakistan.

I have a very good experience with Calladiums, Lilliums and Red Blood Lilly. They all thrive and bloom in our weather.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Thank you Tahir for explaining the difference but amazingly they look same

welcome Adnan Thank you for adding your valuable suggestion, also thank you for adding some Tuber in our list

Updated list

Amaryllis
Amaricrinum (cross between Amaryllis and Crinum and both do well in our climate so it should be ok)
Acidanthera (Glad family must do good but yet to try)
Alstroemeria (recommended by Khabbab sb and Kaleem sb is also growing this tuber)
Allium (Small Allium has been recommended by Khabbab sb)
Babiana ( AY khan sb is growing them successfully)
Crinum
Canna
Caladium (added by Munir sb, also experienced by few other members)
Chlidanthus (Haris is growing it successfully and mine reached Pakistan lets see)
Daffodils (Heat tolerant that suits from Zone 9 to 11 by AY Khan sb, I tried from UK they flowered for even in second year but hard to propagate)
Daylilies
Dahlia (could be tried as an annual)
Eucharis Amazonia (with some care)
Eranthis Alba (Recommended by Khabbab sb also growing in Lawrence gardens lahrore)
Freesia
Glads
Gloriosa (few forum members are growing this tuber successfully)
Ground Orchid (do well in shade)
Hyacinth (could be tried as an annual)
Hymenocallis
Iris
Ixia ( recommended by AY Khan sb)
Ipheion (Recommended by Khabbab sb grow well also propagate)
Lycoris
Narcissus (Gule-nargis)
Paper white
Pancratium maritimum/Sea Daffodil (JD Ashraf is growing successfully)
Rain lilies
Ranunculous
Red Blood Lily (Syed Adnan and few other members are growing It successfully)
Sparaxis (recommended by Tahir sb)
Society Garlic (Syed Adnan was growing it successfully)
Tube rose (I have both single and double)

one question do any one know if Schizostylis do well in our climate? its not a tuber but something like Daylily, any suggestion for a Tuber who perform in our climate would be appreciated.

Thanks all for the active participation, it really helps and eventually we will come up with a tuber list that do perform and propagate in our climate.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

one question do any one know if Schizostylis do well in our climate? its not a tuber but something like Daylily, any suggestion for a Tuber who perform in our climate would be appreciated.
Schizostylis is a perennial from South Africa and other bulbs like freesia, sparaxis, babiana etc are also South African natives...So theoretically it will do good as all these bulbs, tubers, corms etc will do good.

One other thing in my experience is the South African bulbous plants that grow from 'Corms' like freesia, sparaxis, babiana, watsonia, crocosmia etc. are the best for Pakistani environment and you can lift them up after the season to plant something else....and they are less susceptible to fungus or mold during storage than bulbs or tubers.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Up dated List 35 Tuber so far I m very Happy wow, Thank you all ;) :) :D

1. Amaryllis
2. Amaricrinum
3. Acidanthera
4. Alstroemeria
5. Allium
6. Babiana
7. Crinum
8. Canna
9. Caladium
10. Chlidanthus
11. Daffodils
12. Daylilies
13. Dahlia
14. Eucharis Amazonia
15. Eranthis Alba
16. Freesia
17. Glads
18. Gloriosa
19. Ground Orchid
20. Hyacinth
21. Hymenocallis
22. Iris
23. Ixia
24. Ipheion
25. Lycoris
26. Narcissus
27. Nerine
28. Paper white
29. Pancratium maritimum/Sea Daffodil
30. Rain lilies
31. Ranunculous
32. Red Blood Lily
33. Sparaxis
34. Society Garlic
35. Tube rose

Belladonna don't flower in our climate according to our fellow members then it means that Ox Blood will perform the same, I m adding Nerine as they are flowering for the first time in AY Khan sb garden

Tahir do you recommend Watsonia and Crocosmia shall we add it in our list?

any more suggestion would be welcome though the list is quite populated already but its good if we will add all the available Tubers those who suits our climate for future reference and would also help others, it will cost a lot of time and effort to collect all these tubers and may be difficult to handle but I m looking forward with a positive attitude (fingers crossed).

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Please remember that Nerines are several types broadly divided into winter and summer growing. The one with a scape now is my summer growing huttoniae. Rhodophiala bifida probably needs better care from me to flower. Scadoxus should flower. Watsonia will flower and Tritonia have done well for me as well as ornithogalum.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I forgot Scilla Peruviana flowered for me then went dormant and then resprouted but didn't flower. Urgenia maritima is doing well also.
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Tahir do you recommend Watsonia and Crocosmia shall we add it in our list?
Most certainly...They will flower in our climate.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”