LILIUM UP GRADED

Moderator: Izhar

asimPK
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Plants and flowers

Re: LILIUM UP GRADED

Post by asimPK »

Yes, same bulb in normal season will produced 10+ buds with height of 4 feet.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

asimPK wrote:Yes, same bulb in normal season will produced 10+ buds with height of 4 feet.
Why plant them off season?
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

I have thousands of lilium bulbs as cash crop and to get rid over growing liliums in all aspects have a good experience. Wish you good-luck.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Conclusion
Lilium bulbs can be planted any time but the winter blooms are the best.
A 40 days chilling at around 10 C is required for Asiatic and 60 days for Orientals before planting.
Plant mature bulbs from Mid-October to end of November, for blooms in Feb. to April.
Let the plants mature after blooming but break up all new emerging shoots.
Remove the bulbs for storage as the leaves yellow.
Storage in moist peat at around 15 C and chilling at around 10 C.
Plant all small and medium bulbs in 1st week of October for proper development.
Asim correct me where I have erred.
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Pls note that new emerging shoots can be remove only if mother stem is in good condition and not drying.
niyothi
City: Mangalore
Gardening Interests: Lilies and other flower bulbs

Post by niyothi »

Hi I have some Asiatic which finished blooming and even the stem has dried . i need suggestion on till when should I refrigerate the bulbs till next planting ? And when would it be ideal to plant the bulbs. Thanks in advance
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

cut the stems and dug up bulbs if temperatures goes >30C and refrigerate it. Sow it when max temperatures are <20C for orientals and <25C for asiatics & trumpet varieties.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

I was expecting lots of discussion on cultivation of Lilium based on our own experience.
I agree we have a little experience based on our local conditions as we have started growing it only a few years ago. We still can extract a lot of information from personal experience of all who are growing this lovely plant.
To sum up:
Mrs. Nausheen in Lahore treats them as annuals, Plants them in first week of September For blooms in December and re-bloom in May and lets them rot in the soil.
She has nothing to contribute.
Hamad in Wah Cantt starts sowing them in late September at weekly intervals for flowers from 15th of December onwards. He has beautiful varieties and can contribute a lot regarding STORAGE and PRE_PLANTING CHILLING.
Rafique, started in October 2014 and got blooms in Feb. 2015. He is very observant and surely can put in a lot and so can Raja Qaiser from pindi.
Asim from Lahore has grown Easter lilies for decades and has tons of experience but un fortunately the information he has provided is not his own experience but extracts from internet. I would request him to give in detail how he cultivates his Easter lilies.
He states Easter lilies are warm weather lilies, what I gather from his posts is that he chills some and leaves other in the ground (am I correct).
I am sure there must be others, who must have at least tried it,
Please put in a few words, what you think of little value may mean a lot to us.
Arif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

My Lilium journey

About two decade ago I was given a pot of Easter lilies, I tried to propagate them and lost all so I gave up.
In 2011 I again took up the challenge of cultivation of these beauties but was discouraged by experience of my gardening friends.

khabbab » February 5th, 2012, 1:14 pm
IP:
Tried only once to naturalize them in soil bed. Not successful. Never tried saving the bulb for next year. But as an annual they always bloomed for me.

UMAR KHAN » November 26th, 2011, 7:54 pm
IP:
Brigd sb once i used to grow the tiger lily & orientals in Abbottabad.there they get naturalise & bloom in summer.when i brought them to Rawalpindi they failed to bloom

by mikhurram » April 23rd, 2013, 10:36 am
IP:
Brig Sahib, based on my experience Asiastic and Longilflorum lilliums tend to sprout again on a regular basis and Oriental Lillium (having fragrance) do NOT tend to sprout again in the subsequent year after their first year of their bloom even though the bulb tends to survive. I would be interested in knowing if you have experienced any success with re-sprouting of Orientals in following years.

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 17:29

In North America, these are considered some of the hardiest and easiest lilies to grow. If soil drainage in winter is good, these bulbs can remain in the ground and in time will naturalize to form large colonies. They typically bloom in late spring or early summer. After the flowers fade, the stems and leaves will remain green for several months and should be allowed to remain in place and continue to photosynthesis and recharge the bulb until they naturally dry and turn brown - then they can be removed.
Asiatic lilies do require a chill or cool, dormant period so in warmer climates - certainly your zone 11/12 - they should be dug after the stalks turn brown and dry up, stored in a refrigerator at around 35F (2C) for at least 6-8 weeks before replanting.

Muhammad Arif Khan » February 17th, 2013, 6:12 pm
IP:

AOA, I think my last years Lilium bulbs are sprouting, if they bloom; it will open another section in my garden.

Arif sb how did you manage to keep them over the year?? because its a bit difficult to keep them alive in their dormancy in Pakistan because of our hot climate, if you share your experience it will be great help.
Thanks and Regards
Hamad

Since then having planted them in different times in different conditions I have come to the conclusion that Liliums all types can be cultivated year after year and will bloom for you at the desired time if the bulbs are stored and planted properly.

Naturalising the bulbs in Lahore is out of question, they will rot during rainy season.
If left in pots and protected from rains they will survive but will become overcrowded and sprouting is delayed, blooming in May for a short period.
Planted in ground or pots, it is best to dig them out as soon as the stem yellows remove the stem wash the bulbs and dip them in a fungicide solution for 10 minutes and pack in almost dry coco pith.
Storage; so far I have stored them in refrigerator at 8 C but I have seen that they survive in the pots if the soil is just moist, so I am planning to keep some at room temperature.
Chilling; Again it is confirmed that in hot areas to initiate sprouting the bulbs must undergo chilling from 500 to 1000 hours depending on the type (reason why the bulbs left in the pots sprout late by March that is, after the winter chilling).
Planting; I will be planting them only in pots but what size and how many bulbs per pot (that is what I would be working on). The smallest size for 5 bulbs without effecting the growth of bulbs is the aim.
Your comments are requested
Arif
niyothi
City: Mangalore
Gardening Interests: Lilies and other flower bulbs

Post by niyothi »

Hi can anyone help me with this lily I'd

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”