LILIUM UP GRADED

Moderator: Izhar

Umair
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Re: LILIUM UP GRADED

Post by Umair »

asimPK wrote:These are weak & will not flower this year, need full sun light in winter next year.
Thank u Asim Sb.
So shall I leave them in ground and wait for next year or take them out and store. And also mention that which variety is this in your opinion. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
asimPK
Gardening Interests: Plants and flowers

Post by asimPK »

variety looks ok, but flower shape will determine, when and from where you got this variety, if it is first year experience with you, leave some in ground or pot and other may stored. brig. Sb. may guide better for storage.
Umair

Post by Umair »

AOA Asim Sb.

I got this variety from Sunny Seeds around two years back. I was told that they were going at someone's house in Bahawalpur. Knowing that Bhawalpur has a hot climate I purchased the bulbs in around August, 2014. I planted them immediately and they bloomed beautifully for me during March-April, 2015 if I remember correctly. After that there stems dried I took them and placed them in a cool dry place along with my other bulbs of glades and daffodils. At that time I had no proper idea how to store them and the bulbs looked quite healthy and big in size.
Then in November, 2015 I took them out from there cardboard storage box. The bulbs were completely dried and had lost around 75% of their volume. I planted them again and they showed a very late sprouting. In the mean time I took out a bulb and observed that the bulb is developing itself underground and is showing very less growth outside.
Yesterday, I removed some peat moss from one bulb and observed that it is quite good in size now and healthy. But they have not made any buds till now and have started to dry out.
Now I am planning to leave them where they are either in pots or in ground and take them out in October, 2016 separate any little babies they have and replant them with proper spacing. As I think that they have not bloomed because I stored them without any storage medium and now they are developing themselves and will give good blooms in 2017.
And if they rot in ground or in pots I am already saying them 'bye' as I dont like growing such bulbs. And if they sprout again and do not bloom because they were not chilled then I will do the honour of taking them out by myself and throw them away as I cannot provide them the luxury of chilling. :)

Thanx again. Waiting for your comments.
Umair
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

And if they rot in ground or in pots I am already saying them 'bye' as I dont like growing such bulbs. And if they sprout again and do not bloom because they were not chilled then I will do the honour of taking them out by myself and throw them away as I cannot provide them the luxury of chilling. :)
Grow only what gives you pleasure without tension and headache.
I agree
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Leave them in ground and keep soil mist throughout summer but not water logged. This Easter lily bulbs never experienced rot during summer. Will Bloom in April without chilling.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

All my mature bulb plants were put aside to dry today I found that a few pots have grown fresh healthy shoots with buds on them, Should I start watering them again?
Umair

Post by Umair »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:And if they rot in ground or in pots I am already saying them 'bye' as I dont like growing such bulbs. And if they sprout again and do not bloom because they were not chilled then I will do the honour of taking them out by myself and throw them away as I cannot provide them the luxury of chilling. :)
Grow only what gives you pleasure without tension and headache.
I agree
Gardening should be enjoyment not 'Mazduri' :)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using Tapatalk
Umair

Post by Umair »

asimPK wrote:Leave them in ground and keep soil mist throughout summer but not water logged. This Easter lily bulbs never experienced rot during summer. Will Bloom in April without chilling.
Thanx Asims Sb i will follow these instructions for easter lillies.
Other thing that i have to ask u is:
I took out my lillium bulbs after they finished blooming. Around 6 bulbs of different varieties.
Removed there foliage and replanted them together in compost(no soil at all) in a plastic pot with maximum drainage.
This pot is now placed in full shade and is watered very ocassionally.

Reason for doing this: As I have read that lilliums require chilling but I can not provide them chilling. So, I am trying to look for varieties/cultivars that will bloom without chilling in Lahore. Even if the bloom size is small it will work for me as i like the flower shape and colour alot.

Ur suggestion required: Will this be a fruitful exercise or the lilliums of any type do not bloom without chilling.

Thanx :)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using Tapatalk
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Easter lily, Regal lily, Medona lily, formosanium lily need no chilling and grow in hot climate. I only seen Easter lily cultivare naturalized here which bloom in early April. All Asiatics and orientals need two month near freeze chilling with long growing winters 180-200 days life cycle. If we ignore two month chilling and two month bulb maturity after bloom finish than all lilies can bloom here but as annuals from imported bulbs which were already chilled by exporter.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Gardening should be enjoyment not 'Mazduri' :)
Well said Umair.
Just the reason why I have stopped growing some plants and am in the process of eliminating others.
After all mine is not a Botanical Garden.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”