Gladioli in summer

Moderator: Izhar

gulzarullah
City: Peshawar

Gladioli in summer

Post by gulzarullah »

What measures should be taken to get highest number of florets per spike in summer?Spring gladioli have much florets as compared to summer one here in peshawar...
KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Re: Gladioli in summer

Post by KAMasud »

Even humans have the highest number of florets in spring as compared to summer. What do you expect poor gladioli to do in 47c? Ask any one over 50 how perky he feels when it is 48. :D
gulzarullah

Post by gulzarullah »

Well I am working on this issue to find out ways to make summer gladioli as that of the spring ones.....
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

One of our forum members Arbab from peshawar tried growing glads in summer this year but flowers did not last long in the heat. Glads do not like high temperatures. There might be some new cultivar which is heat tolerant but difficult to match spring flowering and summer flowering glads on same page. Kamasud raised the correct point, if humans can not avoid this effect how can plants do that.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

For the mere sake of experimentation, this summer I too tried to grow Glads in Summer. The potting medium dried very easily due to extreme heat and I had to water twice (dawn and dusk). The bulbs rightly swelled first but then the growth halted. Few weeks later, most probably due to watering all the bulbs rotted.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Growing Bulbs in the pots is the most challenging things ever. Bulb Rotting, lack of fertilizer, over fertilizer, lack of water, roots heat-up etc. etc.

Might give a try in Bed to succeed.
gulzarullah

Post by gulzarullah »

Well I have successfully grownglad this summer,some glads are still blooming in my field,But the number of florets were 14 to 18 as compared to the spring ones i.e 20 to 26.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Gulzarullah

Still not bad at least you are having Glad in summer and on the top of it in Peshawer,
peshawer is a hot city of Pakistan and numbers will obviously decrease because according
to my limited basic knowledge in summer because of the temperature and sun light the
process of growth of plant amplifies and will have to bloom in less time but you are the
expert any way we should have asked such questions to you ;) but I think we are not that
good to answer but may be some experts can answer.

And I hope you will share this success with us.

Regards

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
gulzarullah

Post by gulzarullah »

Here are some fresh picz, white prosperity bloom quickest in summer here in peshawar but the nmbr of florets decreases drastically as compared to the pink and red (balance) ones
Attachments
13.jpg
12.jpg
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

MashAllah very beautiful seems to be you are planting them at a massive scale so can you share a little about
how to grow glads in summer or what are the main tips.
thanx and regards
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”