Gladioli in summer

Moderator: Izhar

gulzarullah
City: Peshawar

Re: Gladioli in summer

Post by gulzarullah »

Some suggestions to grow gladz in summer..
Do not plant the cormstoo deep in summer as we do in spring crop,it takes more time to germinate and your spikes will then have to face hot weather conditions.
Use a shady place or a shade in the initial growth stage upto third leaf appearance.
60 to 90 days of frost-free conditions are needed forgladz to develop flowers. Plant them in summer as long as it's at least two months before the expected first killing frost date of fall in your area.
Allow well watering to the plants throughout the growing season.
Summer glads grow best in open field rather than pots.
Do not use fertilizers having haevy nitrogen content.
The plants may develop brown rust due to over watering,so one must use the appropriate spray.
Stop watering before 45 days of corms digging.
gulzarullah

Post by gulzarullah »

red balance still blooming in ma fields....I think it will be there at the end of this month...
Attachments
24072012039.jpg
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Please tell us in detail, How to get flowers year arround, When to pull out corms, How to store corms, Prepration of ground for planting and How to plant.
Thanks
Arif
gulzarullah

Post by gulzarullah »

Soil
Gladioli can be grown well in many different soil types. If there is any possibility of selecting soils, a loam or sandy loam should be preferred.
Planting directions
Gladioli can be planted in ridges or in a bed. If the soil is heavy and if irrigation is to be used, planting in ridges is preferable. The ridges usually run north and south so that both sides of the plants will receive equal amounts of sunlight. Indicating the proper planting depth is difficult. Planting too shallowly can cause wind damage and desiccation. Corms planted too deeply do not form contractile roots. A final planting depth of 10-15 cm (4-6 inches, the number of centimetres/inches of soil over the corm) seems to us the most suitable depth during the summer. In the spring, 5-10 cm (2-4 inches) is best.
The size of the plant and spike produced is directly related to the size of the corm that is planted. Corms are graded into sizes as follows:
•Jumbo
2 inches or more in diameter
•Number 1
1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter
•Number 2
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches
•Number 3
1 to 1-1/4 inch
•Number 4
3/4 to 1 inch
•Number 5
1/2 to 3/4 inch
•Number 6
3/8 to 1/2 inch
Digging corms
Corms are ready to dig in four to six weeks after blooms are finished or when the tops die off. They can be dug anytime before a hard freeze. Healthy plants should be left in the soil as long as possible so there is ample time for maximum development of the corms.
Storing
Corms should be stored during the winter at a temperature of 35 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit in a well-ventilated area.
To get year round blooms,plant corms after a gap of every 15 days on the same piece of land.
Attachments
Gladz beds
Gladz beds
Untitled.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Always plant in soil that is somewhat moist so that the corms can absorb water faster after planting
Always plant in soil that is somewhat moist so that the corms can absorb water faster after planting
New Bitmap Image.jpg (69.6 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Are these photos of your fields?
Storage of corms in the hot summer is what I would like to know.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

many thanx Gulzarullah I really appriciate that and I hope even in the future you will keep on guiding us with your great knowledge regarding plants

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
gulzarullah

Post by gulzarullah »

The last two pics are not of my field, i just put them to understand better. Corms should be dug during hot summer and stored in a cool,dry and dark place at room temp in a paper bag, they should be checked for any disease infestation from time to time.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

gulzarullah wrote:The last two pics are not of my field, i just put them to understand better. Corms should be dug during hot summer and stored in a cool,dry and dark place at room temp in a paper bag, they should be checked for any disease infestation from time to time.
Do they nead a chill period?
gulzarullah

Post by gulzarullah »

Gladiolus corms are termed as tender ,so they do not need any chilling temp like hardy bulbs.Also a freezing temp is also not favoured for its storage.it just require some curing and then storage at room temp.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

I plan to try glads, when should I be planting to get flowers in Dec. to Feb.
Arif

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”