Info req.for planting bulbs!!!

Moderator: Izhar

Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Info req.for planting bulbs!!!

Post by Rafaiy »

AOA!
Had a few bulbs of Tulip, Ranunculus and freesia double...just thinking when to plant them...any suggestions and experienced opinion is welcome :) ...
Tahir Khan
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: Info req.for planting bulbs!!!

Post by Tahir Khan »

Rafaiy! plant you bulbs now in a compost rich well drained soil, plant the ranunculus tubers one inch deep, freesia three inch deep and tulips i recommend if you have bought in a single colour or diffrent colours packed seperately you should get them changed with some other bulbs that do well in Pindi.. Tulips will not bloom or if they do bloom the flower will not be worth the effort, because of the heat.
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

Thanks for the advice...one more thing i would like to know which size containers would be suitable for ranunculus and freesia, and what are the sun and watering requirements of these two....

Secondly a seed store guy said that before planting ranunculus i should keep the tuber in water for atleast 4 to 5 hours and the plant, please throw some light on this issue also...

I was thinking what if i cut the ranunculus tuber into two parts and sow seperately, would that work?
Tahir Khan
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

The container size does not matter at all, i plant about 30-50 freesias (depending on the size of the corms) every year in a container whith specs 12 inches width and height also 12 inches and all of them bloom and at the end of the season give me new corms that i store for the next season, as for ranunculus if same type of container is used maybe about 6-10 tubers i plant (depending on the size of tubers) in one container.
Plant them in a free draining soil with lots of organic matter and water only when the soil feels dry... over watering in the winter leads to rotting.
And the seed store guy was right, soak your ranunculus tubers over night and when the tubers are swollen plant them, this process hastens the growing of the plant.
split the ranunculus only when there are multiple bunches in a single bought tuber like the pic below otherwise it is not required

go to this link. http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/ranunculuses.html
Attachments
tuber cluster in hand
tuber cluster in hand
ranunculustubercluster.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

Thanks for the advice... :)

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”