Am I lucky?????

Moderator: Izhar

Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Am I lucky?????

Post by Kaleem »

Four years ago I received a rhizome of this beautiful TBI from Canada and three years ago I have shared one small offset with my friend who is living in Islamabad. In last rainy season because of high humidity level I have lost the plant. It never bloomed for me. Today he called me and showed this beauty.
I think, I am lucky because my friend will give me an offset of this beautiful Iris.
Isn't it beautiful??????
Attachments
m_013.jpg
m_011.jpg
Kaleem
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Am I lucky?????

Post by KBW »

I think beautiful is not the right word. It's stunning, just grab it ASAP :mrgreen:
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Kaleem wrote: Isn't it beautiful?
Indeed, very beautiful!

Iris is a poetic flower. Iris has a very important position in our Urdu poetry and literature. It is called so-san in Urdu. Iris is allegorically called a zuban daraaz (insolent) or a talkative flower, because its petals resemble a tongue.

Here is a beautiful poem by Hafiz Shirazi (translated from Persian) taking about Iris :-)

I went to the garden and drank some ale
And heard the wailing of the nightingale
Blooming there also was a beautiful rose
But, unlike the birds, it had no woes
It looked so happy, so vigrourous, so proud
Standing alone and above the crowd,
The narcissus also was looking very grand
Had a tulip in waiting with a cup in hand
The iris there also was lashing its tongue
Scolding them, whether old or young
And there was Hafiz singing his song
Telling us to come and sing along!
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

M Farooq wrote: Iris is a poetic flower. Iris has a very important position in our Urdu poetry and literature. It is called so-san in Urdu. Iris is allegorically called a zuban daraaz (insolent) or a talkative flower, because its petals resemble a tongue.

Here is a beautiful poem by Hafiz Shirazi (translated from Persian) taking about Iris :-)

I went to the garden and drank some ale
And heard the wailing of the nightingale
Blooming there also was a beautiful rose
But, unlike the birds, it had no woes
It looked so happy, so vigrourous, so proud
Standing alone and above the crowd,
The narcissus also was looking very grand
Had a tulip in waiting with a cup in hand
The iris there also was lashing its tongue
Scolding them, whether old or young
And there was Hafiz singing his song
Telling us to come and sing along!
Wonderfull, Farooq sb. Great to know that you try to see the plants beyond their apparant shape and colour. :)
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

KBW wrote: Wonderfull, Farooq sb. Great to know that you try to see the plants beyond their apparant shape and colour. :)
Thanks. Poetry of nature takes you to a different world where flowers can talk :-)
Kaleem

Post by Kaleem »

KBW Sb

You are right its not beautiful, its stunning. Do you love Iris? Do you have any collection of Iris?

Farooq sb
You have won my heart by beautiful poetry. Plant lovers are always human lovers but if some one have interests in poetry , then it means we should have to see this world by his eyes.
Thank you so much for informative reply.
Attachments
m_012.jpg
Kaleem
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Kaleen its so beautiful & unique color combination.its a true novelty.Its my regular practice that i give some offsets or when i purchase rose bushes i gift some to my friends.so if mine ends up i can get some planting material from them.i practice this specially in the case of Amaryllis.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Kaleem sb, unique flower shape, scent and freshening foliage of Iris has always fascinated me. Even when they are not flowering, foliage and plant shape looks great, specially in rockeries. It was in probably in 1991 that I genuinely fell in love with Iris. It happened when during one of my hiking trips in Northern Areas, at over 8000 ft above sea level, I found wild TBI in dark brown, maroon and yellow shades. They had extra large flowers and mother nature was taking good care of them. I brought a few rhizomes and tried to grow them in Abbotabad but they did not grow. I have seen at least 7 different Iris species growing in the wild in mountains of Pakistan.
Then I purchased many varieties of bulbous and rhizomatic iris and grew them successfully for few years. At this moment, I live in a very hot area which is not suitable for growing Iris. And I no more attempt to grow plants out of their climatic zone. :)

BTW, during early nineties I used to take out lot of plants from the wild and then try to grow them at home. In most cases, plants died or survived miserably. Then, as a principle, I stopped doing that and would just be contended taking a few good snaps. They survive far better in nature and watching them growing so well in their natural habitat is very very refreshing.
regards
Kaleem

Post by Kaleem »

I want to roam wildly in the mountains of Pakistan for Iris plants. Whenever I see the Iris bloom...... then....kuch kuch hota hay.......
Here is another photo which may kill you all, I hope because I am dead.............
Attachments
549052_236525876489202_1152559771_n.jpg
Kaleem
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Great indeed! Kaleem you have so many lethal ( mas-hoor kun) flowers in your arsenal.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”