Question from Bulb growers

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Question from Bulb growers

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I want to ask that let say if some plant bulb is to be planted in spring but it is not planted in media rather stored somewhere/some how.....would this have any adverse effect on the bulb? would it die? get out of cycle?

Secondly if such a bulb does not get damage/out of cycle......what is the proper method to store that bulb?
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: Question from Bulb growers

Post by Tahir Khan »

I also have the same queries :!: Anybody??? Khabbab bhai, Dr.sb!!!
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

This question of mine is not specific to spring bulbs. That was just an example. Same question for fall planted bulb. IN simple words if i do not plant a bulb in ground/soil for a complete year what will happen?
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

farhan137 wrote:This question of mine is not specific to spring bulbs. That was just an example. Same question for fall planted bulb. IN simple words if i do not plant a bulb in ground/soil for a complete year what will happen?
In my limited knowledge the bulb dries or shrivels faster when it is out of the soil than in it :geek:

So theoretically the bulb has to be either planted immediately when acquired or stored in a cool environment like peat moss or coco coir.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Tahir Khan wrote:
farhan137 wrote:This question of mine is not specific to spring bulbs. That was just an example. Same question for fall planted bulb. IN simple words if i do not plant a bulb in ground/soil for a complete year what will happen?
In my limited knowledge the bulb dries or shrivels faster when it is out of the soil than in it :geek:

So theoretically the bulb has to be either planted immediately when acquired or stored in a cool environment like peat moss or coco coir.
I would also agree with you (in my limited experience with bulbs) that bulbs die very quickly if stored in air or wrapped in newspaper. I have ruined daffodil bulbs like this. For example with tuberose bulbs, someone had advised once the bulb has flowered, take out and store it in air for few days (~ week) till all theirs leaves dry out and grow it again in soil for the next flowering period.

My additional question: What is wrong if we let the bulb sit in the soil if it has flowered? That's what Mother Nature must be doing for eons!
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Some of us have to take out the bulbs because of limited space and containers, i take out freesia corms every year at the end of April and plant some other summer annual in that container. Tuberoses are very hardy in our climate their foliage does not die out in the winter infact in my university i have seen tuberoses blooming in December :) so no need to take them out.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

My this question has many dimensions:-

1. Our seasons/planting dates are different from west. If we purchase fall planting or spring planting bulbs now. Would that mean demise of that bulb?

2. If we can store bulbs somehow for longer durations, maybe we can take them along for longer durations.

3. Limited place in garden forcing to lift these bulbs to make way for other plants.
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

The bulbs will not die if we have a different climate and planting dates it will simply abort the bloom that is already inside the bulb because of the temperature disturbance and will skip the season and bloom the next season although this is not entirely true for corms they make the bloom during active growth.

This is just my experience with freesias..
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Sir Arif, Dr Amir, kaleem Sb and Khabbab are requested to give their inputs.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Below are the recent images of oxalis bulbs, removed from soil in last spring (2012 )and wrapped in paper and placed in cardboard. Forgot to sow in this season.
New roots emerged when it came out of dormancy.the bulbs were firm enough with fresh roots till Feb-13. But now they are looking almost dead with pulpy center and browned roots.

i think most of bulbs in this category can be stored safely for one cycle. If want to store for prolonged periods then special storage conditions would be necessary which i dont know.

For better suggestion looking forward to Sir Arif, Dr sb, Kaleem sb and Khabbab.
Attachments
crushed.JPG
oxalis.JPG
Rafique

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”