Question from Bulb growers

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Question from Bulb growers

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@KBW.......Sorry somehow missed your post. Saw it today on Hamad Sb's post.

Sir what i was looking for was a generalized answer.....and i think Sir Arif has summed up nicely in a one liner that
" ensuring dormancy environment is the key to save/store bulbs".....which in turns leads to your point that how they grow in their natural habitat. But here there is a thin line of difference. We are not taking of growing but storing(non active period of growth. Bulbs in their natural environment are saved/protected by changing favorable weather....which we can not mimic(mostly) in our garden/outside but we can indoors by taking measures such as refrigeration etc.

Secondly Sir Arif has given examples also how to mimic dormancy climate of certain bulbs.

Now lets say i want to know what is the dormancy environment of "X' bulb i can search that during which temperature range/month the bulb is dormant...ofcourse the medium is almost always soil(except few) which is sometimes possible and sometimes not for us, next is moisture requirement. If a bulb in its dormancy time remains moist due factors such as rain etc then we have to keep it moist...to cut the long discussion......the thumb rule will remain the same, what is the dormancy climate.

Neither you distracted nor your efforts are in question. There are few members who would take such pain for a diligent and comprehensive reply :-)...i wonder why are you having this feeling.....i told you most people read..few reply :-)

Baqi as you said you like being confronted ( i hope you remember) 8-)
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Question from Bulb growers

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Another most important point is that in plains....most of the bulbs are aliens, non-naturalized(except few) so would require a life support system. ......This we can do by studying their growing requirement as you said, but.....when we find a suitable growing & flowering window for them in a year we also have to find exact dormancy climate. Which is of course not possible due our intense seasons......Again, we have limitations for space in our garden because of which we can not let them in soil for the entire year.

As i perceive certain bulbs have been naturalizing in our climate...likes of amaryllis and daylilies as Sir Arif & Aykhan Sb has been experiencing. This means we can leave them in ground without any fear of damage due monsoon, hot or cold weather etc. But again space can be an issue for a common home gardener.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”