Viable Tubers for Our Climate

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Tubers

Post by mikhurram »

I have an additional criteria regarding whether the bulb/rhizomes merits a place in my garden and that condition would be whether the growth/development of the bulb/rhizome/tuber is going to benefit the wild life (birds, Butterflies/Bees) in the garden or not? I tend to exclude ornamentals varieties and caladiums would fall into that and they can grow successfully in a shady spot. The only exception to this rule are Amaryllis and Lycoris.

Also we need to take into account whether a bulb or a plant may turn invasive and destroy local flora. Back in late 1970's the introduction of mulberry tree imported from China has created havoc in Islamabad/Pindi by creating allergies when the their pollen is released and have decimated the indigenous flora of Islamabad.

It is better to plant annuals/perennials along with fruit trees in the garden to attract bio-diversity. Growing annuals is a more uphill and difficult task as they require more care and vigilance. Farhan recently did a commendable job with annuals & perennials.

A more refined list based on this criteria would be:

5. Amaryllis (an exception as it would be mainly have an ornamental value)
8. Babiana
9. Canna
15. Daffodils ( Foliage should not be cut to ensure blooms in the coming year)
16. Daylilies
22. Single Freesia
24. Ginger Lily (white variety is fragrant)
30. Iris (bearded not recommended for beginners and require pampering)
31. Ixia
35. Liium (Asiatic)
36. Lycoris (An exception would be mainly have an ornamental value)
37. Narcissus
39. Oxalis (better to crowd it a pot due to its invasiveness & blooms would appear more striking)
40. Paper white
42. Rain lilies
51. Tube rose
Kniphofia also can be grown in lahore and attracts bees/butterflies. My attempt to grow Kniphofia turned out to be a failure as 4 out of 6 rhizomes didn't flower and died out. Two have survived and have yet to flower. I know someone who is successfully growing kniphofia's in lahore. His kniphofia have multiplied/thrived and bloomed within an year in a raised soil bed. The key is providing the ideal PH. I am thinking of creating a post on Kniphofia's when they bloom in Sept/Oct.
Even Eucomis ought to do well in Lahore and is a beneficial plant attracting bees. My eucomis bulbs placed in pot 2 years back haven't bloomed and hopefully they may bloom this year or in autumn of 2014.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Khurram I really appreciate your participation and valuable input :) and yes you are right it should be under tuber section I m on the same page and thinking on the same line once I will finish with details which will take some time I will post them and ask the management to make them sticky under Tuber section so that it don't get disappear because this time I will update the list with details as I mentioned about tips on how to grow, regional guide and rating etc.
looking forward for fellow members to participate

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Re: Viable Tubers for Our Climate

Post by Hamad »

do any one know if Tulips can be grown in RWL/ISL I heard they do but just confirming before finalising the list, don't mind if we can have them as an annuals, I m sure they will be ok in high lands of Pakistan but how they behave in a bit colder planes because I m sure Lahore/Peshawer are quite hot and Karachi is humid

and any knowledge about Foxtail Lily?

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Hamad wrote:do any one know if Tulips can be grown in RWL/ISL I heard they do but just confirming before finalising the list, don't mind if we can have them as an annuals, I m sure they will be ok in high lands of Pakistan but how they behave in a bit colder planes because I m sure Lahore/Peshawer are quite hot and Karachi is humid

Hamad
I tried Tulips two times but the bulbs failed to give a good quality flower, once i planted three bulbs only one bloomed and the bloom was crinkly and deformed, this bulb needs lots of chill hours like daffodils and hyacinths. It is better to chill them for a month after buying and then plant them..They are better off here as an annual. BTW i am chilling my local daffs, Hyacinth and Dutch iris in the fridge. I have put them in the fridge on 1 August and will take em out for planting in November..I hope this chill induces flowers in them. Fingers crossed :D

I have seen Foxtail lily in Pathriata Murre, Chairlift area, it was blooming crazily...Orange yellow blooms on a hill slope. It is a cold a cold area native..I don't know how it will perform here in the plains.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

thank you Tahir for sharing your first hand experience with us

as I m working on the list in detail now, I need some details on the life cycle of each tuber (time to pot, flowering time and then dormancy) input is requested and if some additional information will be provided then that would be bonus :)

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Tulips: My experience of 3 attempts same as Tahir's.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

munir wrote:Tulips: My experience of 3 attempts same as Tahir's.
did you refrigerate them before planting them and do you recommend them as Annuals?

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Hamad wrote:
munir wrote:Tulips: My experience of 3 attempts same as Tahir's.
did you refrigerate them before planting them and do you recommend them as Annuals?

Hamad
No I didn't & annuals only at best-but I am not even for it .
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Hamad wrote:do any one know if Tulips can be grown in RWL/ISL I heard they do but just confirming before finalising the list, don't mind if we can have them as an annuals, I m sure they will be ok in high lands of Pakistan but how they behave in a bit colder planes because I m sure Lahore/Peshawer are quite hot and Karachi is humid

Hamad
For your information Origion of tulip is from Islamabad up north to Afghanistan.
Wild pink/white can be seen all over at base of the hills. Look for them in PAF golf club and you will see many.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

aykhan wrote:Can't find any source for the sea daffodil on the Internet.
Pancratium

If this is what you are looking for, you can have them from me.
They require least care and are reliable bloomers.
Yes they have a short span of blooms as they all like magic come out at the same time. But you can easily trick them, Pull out bulbs in middle of June, hang them dry in a net and as the rains start, start planting them at fortnightly interval, you will see the scapes coming out within a week.
I pulled mine out before leaving in May and planted them on 8th instance, they will be in bloom in2-3 days, where as those left in ground have finished blooming.
The offer is for all members as I have yet to plant many larg/small bulbs.
Arif

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”