Donor

Re: Planting Freesia

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I will plant white and yellow singles if I am able to get them
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Just planted them.Its the first time i am sowing them.Always got the flowering plants from nurseries.Will be updating on the thread for fellow members.
ka_khan

Post by ka_khan »

Update in the thread :
My freesia's almost took 5 months and now they are flowering.Thanks Farhan and Thir Sb for the tips.Will soon share the pics of the blooms.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

When they are done with their flowering by April, place the Freesia bulbs in a onion bag in the first week of May and keep them in a room having good air circulation and sow them again in either end week of September or first week of October. Try getting hold of single freesia's which more fragrant & whose seeds also flower.
ka_khan

Post by ka_khan »

They just flowered for some time but the fragrance and colors were wonderful.Will the bloom again or gone to dormant stage and when to remove the bulbs?Cant find any seeds :(
Attachments
Freesia.JPG
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

woow they are too beautiful and attractive.
Learn & Share
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

They just flowered for some time but the fragrance and colors were wonderful.Will the bloom again or gone to dormant stage and when to remove the bulbs?Cant find any seeds :(
Ka_Khan they flower once, after flowering when their leaves start turning yellow, reduce water to minimum and pull our the bulbs when the leaves completely dry out or you can leave them in pots but don't water them and next season they bounce back.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

After blooming of the flowers has finished for the season don't removed the foliage off. leave the foliage with the bulb. The plant makes food with the help of leaves and store it in the bulb. The bulb will get more healthy and provide nourishment for next growing season.

Water the plant as needed.

As leaves start getting yellow in summer and die back, its mean plant going in the dormancy period. U Can remove the leaves at that time.

U have planted the bulb in pot so it donot need to pull it out from the pot for the store purpose. yea dont water it during this dormancy period.

Even we have Freesia bulbs in the bed in our office we never pull them out. The never got decay. but it is better to pull them out if they are growing in the bed and if they are in pot then it donot need.
Learn & Share
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by Hamad » April 2nd, 2014, 6:08 pm
Ka_Khan they flower once, after flowering when their leaves start turning yellow, reduce water to minimum and pull our the bulbs when the leaves completely dry out or you can leave them in pots but don't water them and next season they bounce back.
by smartline256 » April 2nd, 2014, 7:28 pm
U have planted the bulb in pot so it donot need to pull it out from the pot for the store purpose. yea dont water it during this dormancy period.

Even we have Freesia bulbs in the bed in our office we never pull them out. The never got decay. but it is better to pull them out if they are growing in the bed and if they are in pot then it donot need.
I disagree. Even if they are planted in pots its always better to pull them out in the first week of May. Otherwise if left in the pots chances of some of them getting effected by rot are higher especially during the downpour in monsoon. If left in the bed then mortality rate is even higher around 70%.
Last edited by mikhurram on April 2nd, 2014, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

I wrote here my filed practical experienced that what I see in our office fields.
It may be right about the mortality rate bcoz I never accounted them, They are in abundant in field with the other bulbous plants from the ages and even multiplying every year.

Thanks Khurram Sb for boosting my information and knowledge. JazakAllah.
Learn & Share

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”