Tree lily

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Tree lily

Post by khabbab »

Although i am not a big fan of true lilies but did someone try these tree lilies? http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/tree-lily-bulbs.asp

I think they are oriental hybirds but if they grow even half the size in lahore, no harm in trying specially the price is not too high.

Any thoughts?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Re: Tree lily

Post by Syed Adnan »

It seems like worth a try !
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

can we make a group purchase.?
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:can we make a group purchase.?
I am in.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

If i remember correctly Hamad (UK) is growing these.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

yes he is growing these in UK and they are looking amazing.here is topic.
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... =30#p21818
in his view they can survive in our weather.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

I m growing this highly fragrant beauty in UK but yet to try in Pakistan (near future InshAllah), during my journey regarding viable tubers for Pakistan, Database and growing guide I came to know that Asiatic Liles are more successful in Pakistan as compare to Oriental, and Tree Lilies are Oriental and their origin is from Europe and for due reason they require more chilling hours, they may flower in Pakistan with due care but results may not be as satisfactory as in colder climates.

Experiment is the word, if you want to know or gain something then we have to experiment and as you guys are already willing for a group purchase then there is no harm in trying/experimenting to learn and chilling may do the job and use them as Annuals, as per my best knowledge.

good luck and happy gardening, looking forward to hear the outcome from your experiment :)

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad sb, how long is the flowering period of this lily? I had purchased this lily from a superstore...the grand blooms lasted for a week or so and the story was over. It was grown indoors.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

M Farooq wrote:Hamad sb, how long is the flowering period of this lily? I had purchased this lily from a superstore...the grand blooms lasted for a week or so and the story was over. It was grown indoors.
pleased to know you have tried :) , indeed their bloom time is around a week or so but each stem bear few flowers and they bloom back to back, and if you plan and plant them with equal interval of time then it will give you a continues bloom for a month or so.

if you share your experience from start to end then that would be great for all of us including myself.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad wrote:
M Farooq wrote:Hamad sb, how long is the flowering period of this lily? I had purchased this lily from a superstore...the grand blooms lasted for a week or so and the story was over. It was grown indoors.
pleased to know you have tried :) , indeed their bloom time is around a week or so but each stem bear few flowers and they bloom back to back, and if you plan and plant them with equal interval of time then it will give you a continues bloom for a month or so.

if you share your experience from start to end then that would be great for all of us including myself.

Hamad
My experience may not be very useful :-(. I had purchased a ready to bloom plant from Safeway (Canada) for indoor purposes. It bloomed profusely and after a week or so the story was over. The same thing happened with my friend (again indoors). If I remember correctly the whole plant died afterwards. And I never purchased it again due to its short lived bloom period and life. But this is not discourage others. The indoor light times, humidity and temperature is all unnatural (for this lily and perhaps for myself as well). I think you are growing it in a more natural environment in soil and outdoors - thus better experiences. In my experience, most flowering plants, do not do well indoors because of the unnatural "environment". Regardless of these drawbacks, the blooms are extremely beautiful!

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”