Young Hippeastrum plants

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Young Hippeastrum plants

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I have two bulbs of hippeatrum of approx. 1 year as told by Brig sb. and seedlings of same plant of 2 months old. Is there a need of cutting old and shattered leaves of hippeastrum of the one year bulbs? And If I should not water it till spring? And Why it is recommended to keep plant dormant from fall till spring?
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Young Hippeastrum plants

Post by Izhar »

Remove the dried leaves... the dormancy enables plant to produce bloom in natural cycle... hippeastrums tend to grow fat bulbs and healthy leaves under good growing conditions and bloom less.. however if you force them to become dormant for two months, they will bloom shortly after replanting... i have hippeastrum grown from seeds which are more than three year old and have formed large bulbs, by November i will take them out and let them dry in shade for 2 weeks, then after chopping the leaves i will put them in the fridge to be replanted in January next year... i have done it previously (without storing in fridge) and was successful in getting blooms...
Mustansir Billah

And How about young seedlings and 1 year old bulb? What Did you do when your hippeastrum was of 1 year?
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

kept in semi shade and watered every day so the plant could become healthy an produce good blooms in future..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Izhar wrote:kept in semi shade and watered every day so the plant could become healthy an produce good blooms in future..
And feed them water soluble NPK 20-20-20 one teaspoon in 1 L of water, twice a month.
Mustansir Billah

JazakAllah Izhar sb. and Arif sb.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Izhar wrote:Remove the dried leaves... the dormancy enables plant to produce bloom in natural cycle... hippeastrums tend to grow fat bulbs and healthy leaves under good growing conditions and bloom less.. however if you force them to become dormant for two months, they will bloom shortly after replanting... i have hippeastrum grown from seeds which are more than three year old and have formed large bulbs, by November i will take them out and let them dry in shade for 2 weeks, then after chopping the leaves i will put them in the fridge to be replanted in January next year... i have done it previously (without storing in fridge) and was successful in getting blooms...
You would be successful even if you left them where they are.
By the way how many bulbs in your collection? and in ground or pots?

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”