Which propagated method of Dahlia gives more flowers

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Which propagated method of Dahlia gives more flowers

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Assalam o alekum

I want to grow Dahlia in my home in pots. Here, I just only want to know which propagated method gives more flowers, growing Dahlia by cutting, growing by seed or growing by tubers??.
Thanks to all.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: Which propagated method of Dahlia gives more flowers

Post by Hamad »

Walaikum Asalam

as you live in Quetta and I believe its cold place, for your area Dahlia could easily survive and propagated through its tuber, Dahlia has many varieties now it depend which Dahlia you want to grow Indian Dahlia Kashmeer Dahlia are good options for you, try the following link and you will find more information and for more flowers and healthy plants you could use fertilizers.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3084&hilit=dahlia

hope this help you

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

For Quetta just go for the so called Indian or Kashmir Dahlias. Propagate from tubers or cuttings. The annual dahlia which is raised from seeds can not match the beauty of Kashmir Dahlia.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Thanks for the replies. yea Quetta is a cold place.

One of my friend told me that Dahlia (He did not mention the variety) which is grown by seed dont produce much flowers rather than those grown (propagated) by Tubers or cuttings. is it right or not?

Are Dahlia which grown by seeds survive for one year ? (annual) bcoz as far as my knowledge Dahlia is a perennial plant and can survive for many years.

Thanks
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

A wise counsel from Umar Khan.

I had mentioned the following in another post here in this forum which may prove to be useful.

In western countries like U.K. & Holland the growers place the Dahlia tubers in almost dry silver sand or hang them in nets in a sheds at the onset of the cold spell. Here in Pakistan the main hindrance is our weather especially the humidity/moisture during the monsoon seasons. Even the dahlia tubers placed in dry silver-sand or stored in an open crate inside a well ventilated room tend to shrink. One has to keep on vigil by checking occasionally to see if any of these tubers are susceptible to rotting and infected pieces can be treated with fungicide powder.
Nurseries here in the cities like Lahore or Islamabad send their leftover tubers to Murree around May where they are saved easily. The best way to ensure stock of Dahlia is to take multiple cuttings. The Dutch masters take upto 40 cuttings from a tuber.

Technically Quetta like Murree ought to be safer bet climate wise to save these tubers successfully.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

If the question is about more flowers then definitely seed grown varieties. More flower count is dependent on pinching and dead heading also.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Farhan if given the right climate the giants also give as many as the seed raised.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Thank u all for the replies.
Learn & Share

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”