Lilium

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Lilium

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Lilium are true lilies, like many I failed to grow them as perennials and like some others treated them as annuals .
Finally I have been able to grow them to my satisfaction.
The knowledge gained by me may be of some interest to you.

LILIUM
Where, When and How to Plant Your Lilies

Lily bulbs may be planted in the fall, usually from mid-September through mid-October. If you find hardy lilies growing in containers, you may add them to your garden throughout the growing season. When buying locally, select firm, plump bulbs with roots attached. Plant them as soon as possible. Bulbs never go completely dormant so they must not dry out before planting. Plant mail order bulbs as soon as possible, also.
Asiatic and Oriental lilies grow best in full sunlight. they need six to eight hours of direct sunlight in order to perform well. They'll grow taller, more spindly, and floppier in reduced light. Martagon hybrids, a group of turk's-cap lilies, are prized for their ability to bloom well in shadier conditions.
For best effect, plant lilies in groups of three or five identical bulbs. Space them eight to twelve inches apart, keeping groups three to five feet apart, depending on the vigor and size of the lilies. Plant small lily bulbs two to four inches deep and large bulbs four to six inches deep, measuring from the top of the bulb. Never plant lilies where standing water collects after heavy rainfall. Well-drained soil is an absolute must. Incorporate organic matter into light, sandy soil also, to help hold onto nutrients and prevent it from drying too rapidly.
Planting in pots. For best results plant them 4-6 inches deep in at least 14 inches pot preferably Peshawari broad based type.

Caring for Your Lilies

Fertilize the soil before planting with a phosphorus-rich formula such as 5–10–10. Slow-release fertilizers work well. Always follow label instructions when applying fertilizer.
Lilies usually have few pests, slugs can be a menace to emerging shoots. Aphids – small sucking insects – can also cause problems for flower buds. Carefully wash the affected plants with water sprayed forcefully from your garden hose to remove aphids.
Botrytis blight, a fungal disease, causes reddish-brown leaf spots and is often the result of damp weather or evening watering. (When you water at night, the leaves often stay wet until the sun comes out and dries them the following morning, encouraging foliar diseases.) Whenever possible, water early in the day, or water at the base of the plant rather than over head. Adequate spacing between clusters of lilies also promotes good air circulation and may help prevent disease.
Deadhead flowers as they fade, by breaking them off carefully. That way, none of the plant's energy is “wasted” on seed production. Do not remove stems or foliage, though. They'll continue to put energy into the bulb as long as they remain green.
Remove old foliage as the stem dries. Dig out the bulbs, do not cut roots, wash, dip in fungicide solution, store in plastic boxes in moist coco/peat. Keep it in refrigerator at 10C until planting time (October) for blooms in early spring. If left in the soil they will sprout late and bloom in May, when it is so hot that flowers look faded and have a short life.
Arif
Rohail Asad
City: Wah-Cantt
Gardening Interests: I have interest in flowering plants(both annuals and perennials)

Re: Lilium

Post by Rohail Asad »

Very informative post.
My aunt lives in Canada. She has bought 12 lillium bulbs for me(3 different colours). She will come in mid of july after Umrah. Please guide me how to handle these bulbs.
She is also willing to buy some more types of bulbs for me. Please advice me names of bulbs and their handling and storing procedure.
As a junior member of this forum I think i deserve spoon feeding.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

The bulbs should not be allowed to dry, keep them in moist peat or the material they came in.
Put them in plastic bag and keep them in fridge. Keep them Chilled during transit and Umra if possible, on receiving keep them in refrigerator until October.
Best of luck
Arif
Rohail Asad
City: Wah-Cantt
Gardening Interests: I have interest in flowering plants(both annuals and perennials)

Post by Rohail Asad »

Thanks sir for your kind advice. I refused the bulb gift from my aunt. It is difficult for me to store the bulbs till october because i am untrained.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Informative. I will give Lilliums a try...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

aykhan wrote:Informative. I will give Lilliums a try...
And I will add varieties if available.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”