Lilium up graded

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Lilium up graded

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

AoA every body,
This post is based on my experience and of others, it is not an authority.
When, Where and How to Plant Your Lilies
Lily bulbs may be planted in the fall, usually from mid-September through mid-October. When buying locally, select firm, plump bulbs with roots attached. Plant them as soon as possible. Bulbs never go completely dormant so they must not dry out before planting.
Asiatic and Oriental lilies grow best in full sunlight. they need six to eight hours of direct sunlight in order to perform well. They'll grow taller, more spindly, and floppier in reduced light. Martagon hybrids, a group of turk's-cap lilies, are prized for their ability to bloom well in shadier conditions.
For best effect, plant lilies in groups of three or five identical bulbs. Space them eight to twelve inches apart, keeping groups three to five feet apart, depending on the vigor and size of the lilies. Plant small lily bulbs two to four inches deep and large bulbs four to six inches deep, measuring from the top of the bulb.
Container planting;
For best results plant them 4-6 inches deep (from top of the bulb) in at least 14 inches pot preferably Peshawari broad based type.

Never plant lilies where standing water collects after heavy rainfall. Well-drained soil is an absolute must. Add lots of organic matter to clay soil to create a raised area with improved drainage. Incorporate organic matter into light, sandy soil also, to help hold onto nutrients and prevent it from drying too rapidly.

Fertilize the soil before planting with a phosphorus-rich formula such as 5–10–10. Slow-release fertilizers work well. 40 gm of Nitrogen per 100 sq feet is the rule of thumb.

Lilies usually have few pests, slugs can be a menace to emerging shoots. Aphids – small sucking insects – can also cause problems for flower buds. Carefully wash the affected plants with water sprayed forcefully from your garden hose to remove aphids.
Botrytis blight, a fungal disease, causes reddish-brown leaf spots and is often the result of damp weather or evening watering. (When you water at night, the leaves often stay wet until the sun comes out and dries them the following morning, encouraging foliar diseases.) Whenever possible, water early in the day, or water at the base of the plant rather than over head. Adequate spacing between clusters of lilies also promotes good air circulation and may help prevent disease.
Deadhead flowers as they fade, by breaking them off carefully. That way, none of the plant's energy is “wasted” on seed production (you will have enough bulb-lets). Do not remove stems or foliage. They'll continue to put energy into the bulb as long as they remain green.
Dig out the bulbs, as the stem dries, do not cut roots, wash, dip in fungicide solution, store in plastic boxes in moist coco/peat. Keep it in refrigerator at 10C until planting time. Chilling induces early flowering. If left in the soil the bulb may rot, sprout late and bloom in May, when it is so hot that flowers look faded and have a short life.
Bulbs chilled and planted on 1st Nov. Bloomed by the end of Feb.

Those left in the pot, as on 16th of March,

The bulbs and bulb lets removed as the stem dried;

The confectionary box I use for storage;

Observation
6 inches of well composted and fertilised growing media on top of the bulb is a must, this six inches of stem in the soil develops roots which provide all the nourishment to the plant, some thick stem plants having up to four flowers had only an inch thick bulb.
Roots under the bulb are for development of bulb.
After the drying of stem, a little over watering will set in rot of the roots.
Any specific questions?
Arif
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Lilium up graded

Post by AhmadIrfan »

My liliums plants are planted in bed of daylilies and the base of the plant is under constant shade from the daylily leaves, hence the stems arent dring out as quickly compared to your bulbs already being taken out from the ground.
Should i remove the bulbs from the ground cut of the stems and follow your procedure?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

AhmadIrfan wrote:My liliums plants are planted in bed of daylilies and the base of the plant is under constant shade from the daylily leaves, hence the stems arent dring out as quickly compared to your bulbs already being taken out from the ground.
Should i remove the bulbs from the ground cut of the stems and follow your procedure?
Irfan dear, Diversity of method timing and individuals own requirement and limitations is half the pleasure of gardening.
My advice is let the stems dry.
What I have written is what I would be doing, the choice is yours.
Arif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Irfan dear, when you pull out your bulbs do show us picture along with stem attached.
You may pull them out when 50% leaves turn yellow.
Arif
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

i will post them soon the longiforum were used as cut flowers so there stems are almost dry, the others are still standing with greenish yellow leaves.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

The lilium bulbs have been taken of today, the first picture has bulbs fully developed the stems of these were cut on blooms used for cut flowers, five plants were planted two years ago, these were taken out of the ground last year, as you can see the bulbs have multiplied, the quality of the bulbs is not the same as they were planted.
The second picture the bulbs were in a different location, the bulbs were planted in a bed of daylilies, the initial idea being the bulbs would be protected in the summer by the dayliles, these too were planted two years ago not taken out last year, the stems are still yellowish green, the bulbs have developed but small compared to the first location, 7 bulbs were planted they havent multiplied well about 9 mature bulbs and a few bulbets, i am going to dry them in the shade for a few days and them cut of the stems.
Then i am going to follow Arif uncles procedure mentioned above.

P.S. the bulbs in the first location were all white longiforums and in the second locations were mixed color liliums.
Attachments
20140619_082223.jpg
20140619_081523.jpg
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

My first impression is you did not plant them deep enough,there are hardly any stem roots.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”