Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Haemanthus Multiflorus, Scadoxus, Football lily

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Coming to dormancy in mid-December

Freshly harvested bulbs

I have grown this plant for many years, there can be a difference in planting but the blooms always appear around first week of June.
I have planted them in ground, pots of all sizes and even in tubs for mass effect. Multiple bulbs in a pot will not bloom at the same time; the overlap is in days and not in weeks.
The bulb has extensive root system, I have seen root at the bottom of 18 inches pot. The bulb develops roots before putting up a scape (in mature bulbs) or leaves (in smaller bulbs). The bulb keeps growing till dormancy early winter. During dormancy you may leave it in soil or lift clean dust fungicide and store at a cool dry place, preferably in a net hanging in shade.

Based on the past experience next year I will be trying new cultivation schedule.
Arif
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Haemanthus Multiflorus, Scadoxus, Football lily

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I dont know brig sb but for some reason i don,t like this Lilly.It does not mean i don,t respect Football lilly every flower has its own beauty but it never appeals to me.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Umar I Under stand, same as I don't grow Cocks Comb and some other flowers, but it has a place in my garden.
Arif
isaeed
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: ornamental trees and shrubs,vines.bulbs,flowers

Post by isaeed »

I think it has a nice round shape quite unique.I think it may standout even more if in a pot with other bulbs or flower blooming at the same time having a colour contrasting with red
Irfan
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

It is one of the prettiest flowers, has nice foliage and is a reliable bloomer. The draw back is; it has only one colour and the flower is in its best for 2-3 days.
Next year I would be planting flowering size bulbs singly in 6- 8 inches pots, display on bloom and re-plant in a corner of garden to grow and mature along with small immature bulbs.
Arif
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

That is one of the advantages with bulbs in pots, after they have flowered they don't take up valuable show place with dead or dying foliage because you can move them into a hidden place until they go dormant,
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

newton wrote:That is one of the advantages with bulbs in pots, after they have flowered they don't take up valuable show place with dead or dying foliage because you can move them into a hidden place until they go dormant,
Correct.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”