LILIUM UP GRADED

Moderator: Izhar

asimPK
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Plants and flowers

Re: LILIUM UP GRADED

Post by asimPK »

Arif Sb., Off-course, we need less hybridized old cultivars. Today I got about 30 discarded broken head lilium bulbs form Sky Seeds free of cost for analysis and experiment purpose.
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Lilium Oriental, Crystal Blnka, I cut flowers from bud branch and found excellent cut flower with long vase life (>7 days) with strong fragrance. Flower size 8".
Attachments
IMG_20160324_105012.jpg
IMG_20160330_112601.jpg
IMG_20160330_112703.jpg
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

No doubt.
MOHAN SINGH
City: LUDHIANA
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

long vase life (>7 days) with strong fragrance. Flower size 8".

so many positives to start growing these.. these are up next..
Umair
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Post by Umair »

AOA. Dear Members. Although this post is quit informative for Liliums and Easter Lillies but I have some questions. And your input will be highly appreciated for my successful growing experience of Easter Lillies.
Kindly, answer the questions with respect to "Easter Lillies (Lillium Longiflorum)" only and not other varities Asiatic & Oriental Lillies.

1. Does the bulbs need to be taken out from ground once they have bloomed and dried.
2. If they go dormant, do they rot in rainy season if left in ground to rebloom.
3. There sun and soil type requirement and shell they be planted in raised beds or on normal ground level.
4. If grown in pots should they be taken out or left there to rebloom.
5. Do they require any sort of chillling.
6. If they can survive in pots/ ground without digging them out, will the next year bloom be of good/ same quality or not.
7. They best grow in pots or in ground.
8. Natural flowering and dormancy period for Lahore. (As I planted mine in September and still they have not starting making buds.)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Over to Asim.
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Please upload pictures as first of all we need to know your Easter lily (Longiflorum) variety/cultivar as there are more than 25 cultivars and all need different climates.

1. Does the bulbs need to be taken out from ground once they have bloomed and dried.
(Not required in my case)
2. If they go dormant, do they rot in rainy season if left in ground to rebloom.
(Not in my case bulbs rotted, if you doubt dug them and kept in low mist peat moss at cool place)
3. There sun and soil type requirement and shell they be planted in raised beds or on normal ground level.
(in my case half day morning light with all type of soil do better, I grew more than 30 year on ground level with no problem)
4. If grown in pots should they be taken out or left there to rebloom.
(I left them to re-bloom)
5. Do they require any sort of chillling.
(Yes, if you want to bloom early)
6. If they can survive in pots/ ground without digging them out, will the next year bloom be of good/ same quality or not.
(found healthy growth than replanted bulbs)
7. They best grow in pots or in ground.
(Ground)
8. Natural flowering and dormancy period for Lahore. (As I planted mine in September and still they have not starting making buds.)
(flowered in April, may vary up to 15 days and dormancy (stem dry) in late Jul early Aug. Check growing tips if buds are not aborted as recent years of climate changes responded by Easter lily many bud failures due to quick hot /cool days). I also observed at race course park flower exhibition some one's old crowded Easter lily in many pots, >150 plants were on 1 inch buds stage.)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

There you are.
Umair
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Post by Umair »

Thanx Asim Sb. These r pictures of my three plants for ur consideration

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

These are weak & will not flower this year, need full sun light in winter next year.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”