Replanting Hippeastrum

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Replanting Hippeastrum

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

AoA
I have over 200 pots of Hippeastrums on the roof; under shade of a net from April to September.
My potted Amaryllis have not done well so I am thinking of changing the potting medium.
The plants are ever green in Lahore, on their own they bloom from end of March to end of April. The coldest month is January.
When and how should I go about it?
I have two plans in mind;
A, Last week of January remove bulb from pot, remove dead roots cut off leaves and replant immediately.
B, Middle of January remove them from pots, remove dead roots, cut leaves, spread them in open for full chill at night and full shade during day for two weeks and replant in 1st week of February.
What have you to say?
Arif
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Replanting Hippeastrum

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

50 50
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Sir in my humble opinoin I think now is best time to transplant hippeastrum .dig bulbs from pots and keep them chilled for atleast till 15 december in cold nights open air.then replant them in soil.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:Sir in my humble opinoin I think now is best time to transplant hippeastrum .dig bulbs from pots and keep them chilled for atleast till 15 december in cold nights open air.then replant them in soil.
They are still growing new leaves, the growing period has not stopped.
You think it is the right time for plan B.
Why not try some, thanks
Arif
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

December is here, i am taking out all my hippies (growing or not growing both) cut the leaves/roots, dry them in shade then they will be placed in basement till they start showing scapes...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Izhar wrote:December is here, i am taking out all my hippies (growing or not growing both) cut the leaves/roots, dry them in shade then they will be placed in basement till they start showing scapes...
And when do you expect it to happen?
Arif
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I want to transplant my in ground hippeastrums into pots. Brig Saheb has advised not to touch them till January or they might die. Izhar thinks they can be removed now even if showing leaf activity. Any final thoughts? Can I remove and transplant now without fear of killing them?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:And when do you expect it to happen?
Arif
By mid February..

here is today's pic, the larger bulbs will be resting in basement and bulblets will be replanted in rich soil mix:

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

What ever I have expressed is based on my experience.My experience was that if you pull them out now they go in to dormancy loosing their roots and leaves and stay dormant until it warms up, I am talking about Lahore and not Karachi.
Members of Amaryllis forum Garden Web USA from Florida also practice what Izhar has suggested.
What I would be doing is confusing the bulbs. This Sunday I will pull out about 50 bulbs and give two weeks chilling followed by two weeks of warm storage before planting.
Usman Mirza
City: Multan
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Rose

Post by Usman Mirza »

Dear Muhammad Arif khan sb I am from multan please let me know what you going to do with your poted amaryllis. I have same problem with my poted amaryllis

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”