Belladona lilly

Moderator: Izhar

Arbab
City: Peshawar

Belladona lilly

Post by Arbab »

i wana know a few things abount belladona
a)When is the best time to plant its bulbs?
b)In which month does it blooms?
c)Is its fooilage evergreen?If not then one have to dug out its bulb or should leave it in soil?
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Belladona lilly

Post by khabbab »

I assume you are talking about Amaryllis belladonna. It is evergreen in lahore and i think in peshawar as well. The best time to plant the bulb is fall so that when heat arrives in May/June, the plant is well established to face the high temperatures. It does not like 40C lahore but established plants easily pass through. On internet the bloom time is written around Spring when no foliage but flower appears. It should also re-bloom in August.

Per umar Khan this plant does not grow good in lahore and peshawar but my heart does not think so and i will make it grow good in lahore :x

So do try the bulbs and plant in such a location of sun angles that it is full sun in winter and spring but only morning sun in summers.

It has two crosses, one is amarcrinum, the cross with crinum. The second is amarine, the cross with nerine. I am getting first one in a week :D
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Arbab

Post by Arbab »

Exactly i am talking about amaryllis belladona, last week i planted x2 bulbs, lets c how it does here in our climate, it grows well in USDA zones 7-10. if frost doesnt damages it then it can b easily protected frm scorching sun by keeping it under shade of trees.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

As per this book, it thrives in winter rains and need baking summer http://books.google.com.pk/books?id=0e5 ... is&f=false. Not sure about the winter rain but mine will get lot of baking in summer for sure :D .
Lahore gardening blog
Arbab

Post by Arbab »

well , we can bake them in winters too, by arranging a red hot oven :D
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Belladona has no problem with killing effect of frost.its grows in hilly areas very well.the real threat is the extreme heat of our summers.Lahore,Islamabad,Peshawar climate is slightly different.if its survives the Lahore summer,it can also beat the Peshawar heat.Lets try it.its really very nice bulb.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

My Belladonna Amaryllus bloomed in october last year, i planted them in September, they bloom without any leaves , the bloom stays for one day only :( ; until today the foilage is green and iam waiting for it to die so that bloom will appear again after few month.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khabbab, what would be different in Amacrinum and Amrine? Is the growth pattern different also or just the slight change in flowers? Which ones from these three would better suit our climate? I'm guessing Amarine.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

well flowers will be different i guess but not sure about foliage. I only have 2 of these so missing amarine. There is one thing common between amarine and amarcrinum that they are cross of spring bloomer with autumn bloomer and the result should be a summer bloomer :D So i expect amarcrium and amarine to bloom in mid summer.

Advantage of amarcrinum would be that the flowers will be fragrant (as both belladona and crinum are fragrant) but amarine but not be so because the nerine does not carry that fragrance.

The bulb of syed adnan was probably not out of cycle. but i doubt that ours will flower in october
Lahore gardening blog
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

My Belladonna that bloomed last OCT. These i purchased last summer from ISLAMABAD F8 ;i carried them here , out of four only 1 bloomed, all of them are having foilage now, iam waiting for them to sleep so they can bloom agan in summer fall here because ia have heard they only bloom wilen bearing no leaves.
Attachments
Belladonna Aug 2011.JPG
Belladonna
Belladonna

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”