Breeding Hippeastrums

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Breeding Hippeastrums

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Breeding Hippeastrum is much more fascinating then collecting them? What you create is not available with anyone else.
The process starts with a vision of what you desire to create. You select the parents and pollinate, if it takes you get viable seeds. Sow the seeds and look after them for three years. Third and fourth year are the years of surprises. If lucky you will get something better than what you hoped for, if not the result will still be rewarding as I have yet to see an Amaryllis which is not charming.

Seedlings sown Sept. 2011

Sown June 2011

Seedlings of 2010

Seedlings of Yellows 2010 in pots

They recovered the hails

If you are lucky

And many more
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Breeding Hippeastrums

IT APPEARS NO BODY IS INTERESTED.
Yes it is hard labour of 3-4 years, but once you start the cycle, you get a new crop every year. The crop can be tailored according to available space.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by AhmadIrfan »

This is impressive work mashallah i gonna make sure i collect seeds from my amaryllis this year i always thought separating the bulbs the was an easier technique but reading the post has made me think otherwise, since you cant create unique colors from separating or cutting the bulbs.
dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Post by dragoonsers »

If its not too much to ask, perhaps you could tell how to pollinate and at what time of the flower stage?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

dragoonsers wrote:If its not too much to ask, perhaps you could tell how to pollinate and at what time of the flower stage?
A bee is collecting pollen from the pollen sac, the pollen sacs mature first to avoid self pollination. The appendix with three lobed tip is the female part, stigma

The stigma matures later, in the photo below the stigma of the central flower is not yet ready to receive pollen while stigma of flowers on both sides has turned up, split and is ready to receive pollen.

I pick up a stamen and rub the pollen sac on a mature stigma. Selected pollen can be stored in Refrigerator.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Following in your foot steps I was only able to collect 20 seeds for some reason most of the seed pods dried out before maturing the 20 seeds germinated quickly but they weren't developing healthy roots in the pot so I moved them to the ground, do you propose any special medium for sowing amaylarris seeds, this year I plan to plant as many seeds i can collect with selective breeding.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

AhmadIrfan wrote:Following in your foot steps I was only able to collect 20 seeds for some reason most of the seed pods dried out before maturing the 20 seeds germinated quickly but they weren't developing healthy roots in the pot so I moved them to the ground, do you propose any special medium for sowing amaylarris seeds, this year I plan to plant as many seeds i can collect with selective breeding.
Wishing you better luck
Arif
Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

While reading through the topics on the forum I came across this one which is also one of my interest of bulb. I know exactly what it feels like when your plants are hit by a hail storm but plants recover surprisingly well and fast. I will bump this topic to see who may show an interest to continue posting in this topic.

I like your introductory post Muhammad but sometimes one starts a topic that there is unfortunately no interest from other members. I have gotten used to members reading a post but do not reply on various other forums. Some members are naturally shy to post in case they make a mistake or they are readers but not writers. I am comfortable with both these members and I enjoy writing and sharing my experience and plants with friends.

I have quite a collection of species as well as hybrid Hippeastrums which I crossed and grew myself. I noticed that some of my Hippis are showing life because our flowering season is in a few moths time. I would like to share some of my flowers with you in the following photos.

This is Hippeastrum Yungasensis Kiara

I hope you enjoyed the show. I have more but I will post them when they flower again.

H Evergreen

H Opal Star

H Alfresco

H Trentino

H Green Dragon

H Fanfare

H Razzmatazz

H Zombie

H Mandonii. This is not my photo but I hope that my bulb will flower this season.

Different sizes. The tall one is Big Six which resulted in Ouma below when I crosses with a red flower.

Own cross

Own cross

Own cross

Own cross between H Papilio and H Bogota

Ouma means Granny. A huge flower and own cross.

This is H Big Six with a flower diameter of 210mm. It grows three scapes every season with 6 to 8 flowers per scape.

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Simply Beautiful. I wonder what marvelous experience we are about to have as we are going to see 2 hippi masters share notes and blooms
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Hello Heinie
You have a beautiful collection; Yungasensis, Green Dragon and Mandani are fascinating.
What media do you use in your pots and how often you re-pot them?
Regards
Arif

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”