Can gladiolus flower in midsummer?

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Can gladiolus flower in midsummer?

Post by khabbab »

I know they bloom in spring if planted in fall. I asked some experts about making them bloom in summer instead of spring and opinion differs. Some say that if i do not plant in fall but plant in March/April i will get blooms in June. Some say that it will never bloom in summer high temperatures (May-August).

Also, some say that imported glads do not perform well in our climate, some say they perform even better.

What is true?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Re: Can gladiolus flower in midsummer?

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I've had glads flowering twice I used to plant them in late October once they flower cut of the stem leaving only a few inches if the soil is well drained they re sprout and flower the second time in April- may the flower is not as healthy the first one and they does not last more than a week in the heat
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I will do the same for 2-3 corms of Glads, lets see what happens...
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

Khabbab, glads do flower in summer as per the advise of a senior gardener malik waheed (Many ppl on this forum know him).Make sure you have given them enough rest before re growing them for flowering in June.I have planted Gladiolus Alatus, a rare , dwarf gladiolus variety.Let's see what happens.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

A cat knocked over the pot holding my Glad Alatus and I couldn't find the bulb :cry: but I WILL find the cat :twisted:
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

aykhan wrote:A cat knocked over the pot holding my Glad Alatus and I couldn't find the bulb :cry: but I WILL find the cat :twisted:
:lol:
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

aykhan wrote:A cat knocked over the pot holding my Glad Alatus and I couldn't find the bulb :cry: but I WILL find the cat :twisted:
On weekend, i found my ranunculus flowers and plants(in soil bed) destroyed by cats. I also found a tail of rat. They had a lunch there. My small soil bed and i worked hard to make it look good. I was furious :oops: Fortunately the seedling of cobaea scandens survived.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

The cat might have swalloed it.Find the cat and bury it in an 18 inch pot.You never know ... :P :P

My Gladiolus Alatus and Carneus , both have sprouted. :D

Lachenalia viridiflora and Oxalis purpurea mauve are in buds :D
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

As far as my knowledge is concern tweedle is right they do flower if you give them good rest so that they have enough energy to bloom one of my family friend is in Lahore and He do Glads business if I will be able to get hold of him I will ask him and get back to you.
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Iam successfully growing glads for the last two years as spring flowering annual, the same bulbs blooms next year as well if properly fed and stored, they reach height of almost 4 feet when bloomed, iam feeding them with lots of 10-15-10 Fertiilize (bimonthly) and compost (initially), additionall yevery month liquid fertilizer. following are some of the pics, in my opinion it is very difficult to keep them out of ground as from OCT they start to sprout automatically or one has to take care of light and heat in the stoarage place. Normally iam hanging them in onion bags in my store.Sumer in our zone is really harsh but its worth to try for.
Attachments
Gladss (2).jpg
Glads.JPG
Glads.jpg

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”