Calla lily care

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Calla lily care

Post by aykhan »

Pride Seeds has some calla rhizomes and I bought a few. Not sure how to take care of them in Lahores coming heat. On the net mist places mention full sun to part shade but I can't imagine them tolerating our summer sun. Also should I expect them to be perennial and place them in the soil bed rather than pot? Apparently they like moisture, something rare in bulbs and rhizomes?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Calla lily care

Post by Izhar »

I guess it needs protection from the scorching mid day sun in summers only... it doesn't like shade..

A loose medium with plenty of organic matter, little fertilizer with less "N" no.

Mine are still under full sun and if they show signs of distress then I will put a shade on them... though they've produced only 2-3 blooms per plant till now..
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I'm not sure how high the temps go in Karachi but in Lahore our late April, May and June can get up to 47-50! Very few plants tolerate sun in that kind of weather so for Lahore I think anything that goes in beds as regards perennials should be part shade or dappled shade except for the kinds like Ixora and jasmines. I put my callas in the bed and they should get a couple of hours of direct sunlight atleast. Let's see what happens. Thanks for your input.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Is it worthwhile bringing calla tubers from overseas and planting them in end of June or will it be too late? I guess they should be kinda perennial in Lahore?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

This is a better option to plant them during monsoon...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Mine have not yet sprouted.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I wonder why Brog saheb. I bought a couple more after you and it seems they're already pushing through the soil!
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

aykhan wrote:I wonder why Brog saheb. I bought a couple more after you and it seems they're already pushing through the soil!
How deep did you plant and why?
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I was told but the pride seeds guy to plant them an inch deep. I kept them well watered and they are mostly in filtered light under a Neem tree with very little direct sun.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

aykhan wrote:I was told but the pride seeds guy to plant them an inch deep. I kept them well watered and they are mostly in filtered light under a Neem tree with very little direct sun.
I followed the book and planted them 3 inches deep.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”