Rose Database

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Rose Database

Post by KBW »

This would be great brother. Looking forward to knowing your experience. And please don't bother about the pics. I will shift them to concerned post and will mention the source. Just share your experience in a new post and I will add it to the right place with your reference.
Regds.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

82 - Bolero

Common Name: Bolero
Other Names: Meidelweis
Type: Floribunda
Bred by: Jacques Mouchotte (France, before 2003)
Description:
White. Strong fragrance. 140 to 160 petals. Average diameter 3". Large, very full (41+ petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters, cupped-to-flat, old-fashioned bloom form. Prolific, blooms in flushes throughout the season. Large buds.
Medium, bushy, compact, spreading. Large, glossy, dark green, dense foliage.
Height of 3' to 4' (90 to 120 cm). Width of 2' to 28" (60 to 70 cm).
USDA zone 5b through 9b. Can be used for cut flower, garden or landscape. Hardy. produces decorative hips. Remove spent blooms to encourage re-bloom. Spring Pruning: Remove old canes and dead or diseased wood and cut back canes that cross. In warmer climates, cut back the remaining canes by about one-third. In colder areas, you'll probably find you'll have to prune a little more than that.

Lineage: seed: Kimono ® × Sharifa Asma ®
pollen: Centenaire de Lourdes

Above Information source: HelpMeFind http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php

Pictures: Taken by me of a bush newly planted in my home in Toronto.

Few more pics for reference.

Bolero has a very strong sweet rose scent which is quite close to one of its parent, Sharifa Asma. However, unlike all three of her parents which are in pink shades of varying intensity, Bolero is white, a little towards cream side when the buds are opening.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

83 - Sea Foam

Common Name: Sea Foam
Other Names: ....
Type: Shrub. Earth Kind ™
Bred by: Bred by Ernest W. Schwartz (United States, before 1963)
Description:
Creamy white. Mild fragrance. 35 petals. Average diameter 2.5". Very double bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season. Decorative buds.
Climbing. Glossy, dark green foliage.
Height of 2' to 3' (60 to 90 cm). Width of 2' to 4' (60 to 120 cm).
USDA zone 4b and warmer. Can be used for ground cover.

Lineage: Triploid seed: [White Dawn ® × Pinocchio (floribunda, Kordes, 1940)] × [White Dawn ® × Pinocchio (floribunda, Kordes, 1940)]
pollen: White Dawn ® × Pinocchio (floribunda, Kordes, 1940)

Pictures: Taken by me of a bush newly planted in my friend's home in Toronto.

Few more pics for reference.

The pics above have been taken in Oct but I saw this bush in early Sep also and true to its name, it was full of white foamy flowers. Very light fragrance which is sometimes not noticeable. The best thing I liked about this rose was the spread of the bush in comparison to its height and it's foliage (have a look at pic 2 and 4). Can make a very good ground cover.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Alphabetical list of all roses has been added on the first page. In case any member is interested in using this database, it will be easy for him to do so.
dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Post by dragoonsers »

The alphabetical list is wonderful! Hats off!
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

84 - Fairest Cape

Common Name: Fairest Cape
Other Names: Kortifhar, Solero
Type: Hybrid Tea
Bred by: Tim Hermann Kordes (Germany, 1994)
Description:
Apricot, orange shading, yellow undertones. Moderate fragrance. 25 to 30 petals. Average diameter 4". Large, full (26-40 petals), cluster-flowered, classic hybrid tea bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season. Large, long, pointed buds.
Arching, bushy. Medium, semi-glossy, dark green, dense foliage.
Height of 31" to 39" (80 to 100 cm). Width of 16" (40 cm).
USDA zone 5b through 9b. Can be used for beds and borders, cut flower or garden. Very vigorous. Disease susceptibility: blackspot resistant, susceptible to Mildew.

Hybrid Tea in a striking colour, decorated "Goldene Rose" Baden-Baden 2004”
This variety has been decorated with awards (Gold- and Silver Medal) in international rose competitions.

Lineage: Aperitif ® (hybrid tea, McGredy 1998) × Harmonie ® (hybrid tea, Kordes 1981)

Pictures: Taken by me of a bush planted in my home in Okara.

Fairest Cape has performed very well during hot summers of Okara. Flowers are beautiful and they are lightly scented. Though the flower size reduced in hot summers, the bush kept growing steadily. During spring season, the rose did really well but most other roses did the same. It is the ability to perform well in summer months that distinguishes Fairest Cape from others. A recommended rose for hot climates.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

85 - The Pilgrim

Common Name: The Pilgrim
Other Names: AUSwalker, Gartenarchitekt Günther Schulze
Type: Shrub. English Rose Collection
Bred by: David Austin (United Kingdom, 1991)
Description:
Yellow. Strong, spice, tea fragrance. Average diameter 3". Large, very full (41+ petals), flat, rosette bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.
Height of 42" to 10' (105 to 305 cm). Width of 5' (150 cm).
USDA zone 5b through 10b. Can be trained as a climber. Disease susceptibility: susceptible to Mildew.

Lineage: Graham Thomas ® × Yellow Button ®

The Pilgrim has performed reasonably well during hot summers. If given some shade during the hottest months, it can do much better. Very strong spice scent and large size typical DA blooms. If the location is selected correctly, this rose has the potential to do much better. Beware, it can grow quite large.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

86 - Night Life

Common Name: Night Life
Other Names: Night Light ®, POUllight
Type: Large-Flowered Climber
Bred by: Niels Dines Poulsen (Denmark, 1980)
Description:
Deep yellow, red edges, ages to crimson . Moderate fragrance. 27 petals. Average diameter 3.5". Medium, double (17-25 petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters bloom form. Occasional repeat later in the season.
Tall, bushy, climbing. Large, glossy, dark green foliage.
Height of 4' 11" to 6' 7" (150 to 200 cm).
USDA zone 6b through 9b (default). Can be used for cut flower, garden, landscape or pillar.

Lineage: Westerland (Shrub, Kordes, 1969) × Pastorale ®

Pics have been taken during hottest part of the year in end June when many other roses were finding it hard to survive. One can say that this is the worst that you will see of this rose in 12 months. Most other times, blooms should be better than what you see in the pics.

HMF says that NIght Life has a moderate scent but the one in my house has a strong scent. In fact, it was not that strongly scented in Mar / Apr though the flower size was much bigger. In hotter months, the scent improved but flower size reduced. Scent is much more pronounced during night hours. A good climber to have in hot areas of Pakistan.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

87 - Iceberg

Common Name: Iceberg
Other Names: Fée des Neiges, KORbin, Schneewittchen ® (floribunda, Kordes 1958)
Type: Floribunda. New Generation Roses ® Collection
Bred by: Reimer Kordes (Germany, 1958)
Description:
White or white blend. Strong fragrance. Average diameter 2". Large, double (17-25 petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters bloom form. Prolific, blooms in flushes throughout the season. Long, pointed buds.
Medium, bushy, upright. Glossy, light green foliage.
Height of 30" to 5' (75 to 150 cm). Width of 2' (60 cm).
USDA zone 4b and warmer. Can be used for cut flower or garden. Hardy. vigorous. shade tolerant. Disease susceptibility: very disease resistant. Spring Pruning: Remove old canes and dead or diseased wood and cut back canes that cross. In warmer climates, cut back the remaining canes by about one-third. In colder areas, you'll probably find you'll have to prune a little more than that. Requires spring freeze protection (see glossary - Spring freeze protection) . Can be grown in the ground or in a container (container requires winter protection).

Lineage: Triploid
Robin Hood (hybrid musk, Pemberton, 1927) × Virgo

AWARDS: One of the 15 roses so far Inducted in ROSE HALL OF FAME. Inducted in 1983.

As per HMF, Iceberg has a strong fragrance. May be in colder areas but in hot climate, it could only notice a light scent in most of the bushes that I checked. Other than scent, Iceberg is a very prolific bloomer in hot areas. It's robust and takes on the harsh climate well. Would need protection during the hottest dry month (which most roses would).
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

88 - Poison

Common Name: Poison
Other Names: Fée des Neiges, KORbin, Schneewittchen ® (floribunda, Kordes 1958)
Type: Grandiflora
Bred by: Jean-Marie Gaujard (France, 1954)
Description:
Scarlet - cherry-red. Strong fragrance. up to 36 petals. Average diameter 4". Large, full (26-40 petals) bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.
Bushy.
USDA zone 7b and warmer. Vigorous. Spring Pruning: Remove old canes and dead or diseased wood and cut back canes that cross. In warmer climates, cut back the remaining canes by about one-third. In colder areas, you'll probably find you'll have to prune a little more than that. Requires spring freeze protection (see glossary - Spring freeze protection) .

Lineage: Peace (hybrid tea, Meilland 1935) × Alain

Pictures: Taken by me of a bush planted in Changa Nurseries, Pattoki.

As per the pics given in HMF and elsewhere on the web, Poison is scarlet or dark scarlet but here in Pattoki, it was a blackish maroon as you can see in the pic above. Does hot climate darken the colour in this particular rose? Other members can add their experience on this information.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”