Agapanthus

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Agapanthus

Post by Izhar »

i meant to say without any bloom... :mrgreen:
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Izhar wrote:i meant to say without any bloom... :mrgreen:
:roll:
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Khabbab sb the reason why I have wrote down suitable for most areas because it has two types Hardy and Half Hardy, deciduous and evergreen means if one would purchase the right variety according to the climate then its possible to have these beauties in your garden/collection, like Izhar sb is growing them in KHI and Umar Khan sb have seen them in Galiat.

and for your suggestion regarding for Novice (Yes/No), I would not agree with you on that with due respect, reason being I m a great supporter of experimenting and encourage trying new things, I m also a novice learn something every day, and I believe in happening, allow them, let it happen, let them get their hand dirty and then they will learn something, bookish knowledge is never enough, practical knowledge has its own value.
some times same plant could be a success for one and a failure for another in same climate but they will learn from their experiments.

for further information www.Agapanthus.info could help for a better understanding.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Beautiful colours. We can also add another line in the plant profiles for rare and unsual plants like Agapanthus "Plant Source:"...or This plant was purchased from....
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Khabbab sb the reason why I have wrote down suitable for most areas because it has two types Hardy and Half Hardy, deciduous and evergreen means if one would purchase the right variety according to the climate then its possible to have these beauties in your garden/collection, like Izhar sb is growing them in KHI and Umar Khan sb have seen them in Galiat.
For agapanthus and other flowering bulbs, it is not about growing, it is about flowering. Agapanthus grows in lahore but does not flower. It flowers in Galiat which means it is suitable for galiat and not most areas. Yes you are correct, it is possible to grow it successfully in lahore or karachi or pindi but that is yet to happen. Remember, in the pakistan flora database we prefer the experience of pakistani gardeners and not foreign sources. After all this is what you guys have been doing successfully for the database.

and for your suggestion regarding for Novice (Yes/No), I would not agree with you on that with due respect, reason being I m a great supporter of experimenting and encourage trying new things, I m also a novice learn something every day, and I believe in happening, allow them, let it happen, let them get their hand dirty and then they will learn something, bookish knowledge is never enough, practical knowledge has its own value.
some times same plant could be a success for one and a failure for another in same climate but they will learn from their experiments.

for further information http://www.Agapanthus.info could help for a better understanding.

Hamad
Maybe i could not convey my point. Actually i do not want to discourage experimenting. Think from a novice point of view. If a person who has grown only motia (there are hundreds of readers of forum every day from this category) reads an entry like agapanthus, thinks that this will grow good, buys it an expensive rate and then after growing and caring for few years, gets disappointed and thinks that he must have done something wrong because flora database of pakistan gardening can not be wrong. But he was correct to fail because nobody on this forum has yet to make it flower in karachi, lahore or islamabad.

You guys are doing an extra ordinary work in flora database and it is worth every appreciation. However at the same point, i want the entries like agapanthus to be little different than entries like rangoon creeper or amaryllis. I hope i am successful in making my point this time :P
Lahore gardening blog
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

On my visit to USA I saw them in bloom at many places, mostly blue some light blue and a few white.
I did not consider them worth taking home.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

not a bad idea Farooq sb :)
Remember, in the pakistan flora database we prefer the experience of pakistani gardeners and not foreign sources. After all this is what you guys have been doing successfully for the database.
Khabbab sb you are right indeed and that is why I have not quoted like if this plant is flowering successfully in UK, USA or any other country, again my opinion was purely based on the fact that it has two varieties Hardy and half hardy and I didn't know if Agapanthus has failed to bloom for Izhar sb in KHI, and its a mutual effort I did my part and members like you, Izhar and others are contributing and adding into it according to their knowledge and I really do appreciate that :) .

but for the beginners I still hold my opinion and again with due respect because its all about individual point of view, let them and we will keep on contributing on our behalf and amending our entries accordingly, if no one will come out with a successful bloom we will put it as not favourable for most areas but what I have read its not so difficult to bloom and evergreen variety is good for warm climate, I have read Shahzad sb is also growing this plant with success and we could ask Khalid Kadeer sb to share their experience and tips to grow this plant.

and I m editing my entry and putting it as a difficult to bloom

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:On my visit to USA I saw them in bloom at many places, mostly blue some light blue and a few white.
I did not consider them worth taking home.
sir what sort of climatic conditions were they blooming in? if you could share I mean cold or hot because USA is massive and all the states has different climate conditions because they also bloom in UK but whole UK is cold.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

I just recalled my memory, Mr khalid qadeer is famous for his clivias not agapanthus.

:( never mind we will find an expert, fingers crossed :)

Hamad
Lahore gardening blog
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

discussion was so rapid, that our post get merged into one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hamad