Gerbera

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Gerbera

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Botanical NameGerbera
FamilyAsteraceae(sunflower)
GenusGerbera
Specieabove 30 species
Local Name in Urdunone
Common NameAfrican Daisy
Life Cycleperinnial
Cultivar NameGerbera hybrida
Flowering Monthsall over year
Flower Colormix colors
Growing Areasall Pakistan
Frost TenderYes
Exposurepartial shade
Soil pHtolerant
Propagationseeds.by dividing plants after 3 or 4 years
Usescut flower
DescriptionGerbera is very popular and widely used as a decorative garden plant or as cut flowers. Thousands of cultivars exist. They vary greatly in shape and size. Colours include white, yellow, orange, red, and pink. The centre of the flower is sometimes black. Often the same flower can have petals of several different colours. Gerbera is a tender perennial plant. It is attractive to bees, butterflies...
here is a detailed note on gerberas by MIKHURAM sb.
Gerberas are extremely sensitive to standing water and i keep on reiterating again and again that they should be planted on a higher raised bed with good drainage. The major threat they face is the rain onslaught during monsoon. Consequently the major reason of mortality rate is excess standing water.
As mentioned before in my subsection there are two re-known Dutch companies specializing in the hybridization of tissue culture gerberas namely Florist and Shreurs and the flowers we seen in flower shops predominantly are the tissue culture gerberas. They are being cultivated successfully around Pattaki including Gladiolus. Haji Ibrahim of Changa nursery is a major supplier of cut gerberas. Often some of the upscale nurseries in Lahore tend to import the tissue culture Gerbera of Florist company through their joint venture based in India and sell tiny plants around Rs 150 which costs them around Rs 75. Someone recently informed me that some nurseries are again planning to import Tissue Culture Gerbera of Florist around November from India.
Gerberas are also raised through seed provided by Sakata and Goldsmith companies. I have tried the gerberas grown from seed by Goldsmith and they their survival rate is zero and most of nurseries have a habit of fleecing customers by selling them gerberas raised from seed as tissue culture gerberas.
The gerbera seed of Sakata company being offered in spider form or as Festival Semi-Double is very expensive. Two years ago they a single seed used to cost Rs 13 and now probably the cost by now would have jumped to Rs 18 and nurseries tend to sell a single plant from seed at Rs 100-200.
Single gerberas are more hardier and can be bough for Rs 50 each but the flower shape and varieties pales in comparison to the tissue culture varieties.
Flowers
Flowers
small seedlings
small seedlings
Leaves
Leaves
Leaves
Leaves
spider gerbera double
spider gerbera double
gerbera double
gerbera double
comparison between gerbera varieteis by mr imran.(mikhuram).
I have included photos from the 1st and 2nd page of KBW's Gerbera collection of a tissue culture gerbera and single local gerbera to make it easier for viewers to easily distinguish the type of Gerberas sold by nurseries.
Tissue Culture Gerbera either from Florist or Scheurs. Notice that the petals are double.
Semi Double Gerbera most probably grown from seed.
Single local Gerbera
new gardener
City: Karachi

Re: Gerbera

Post by new gardener »

amazingly presented .. thanks for the knowledge
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Zabardast bro :) you have got to teach me how you perfected the entry, i am still struggling with the table :mrgreen:
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

JazakAllah for such a nice share will help beginners like me... :D
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Well done Hamad. very comprehensive information.JazakAllah. Very beneficial for begginers like me.Please inform about the sowing period also.If it blooms all over the year, then it means that it can be sown all over the year.Isn't. it.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Hammad some recommendations. They are 3 types of gerberas being offered here. The first being the tissue culture gerbera offered by Florist and Schreurs, the 2nd being the semi double gerbera grown from seeds provided by Sakata and Goldsmith. The third variety is the local single gerbera. Beginners would not be able to differentiate easily between these types of gerbera. In KBW's page i have pasted a picture of these varieties along with the tags.

Propagation is not merely through seed as after 3-4 years the gerberas can be propagated easily through root division.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

mikhurram wrote:Hammad some recommendations.
thank you sir for valuable information i have updated entry.
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Thank you dear for the info you are providing about different plants.
Keep it up.
Ifrah
Gardening Interests: I've just started loving gardening as a hobby. I'm new to it. But definitely wanna learn more.

Post by Ifrah »

Jazak Allahu khayr for this post so full of knowledge masha Allah!

My husband brought the plants of Gerbera from a nursery. Each had one flower blooming on it. As soon as we sowed them in the soil I thought they started wilting but just today I saw 2 new flowers on the same plant Alhamdulillah!

My Gerberas (they are Local Single variety I believe):
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

I see potential problem during the monsoons when excess water logging may kill these plants. They should be shifted to a raised bed.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”