Ixora coccinea/ Ixora chinensis / Ixora fragrans

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Ixora coccinea/ Ixora chinensis / Ixora fragrans

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
M Farooq wrote:
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:So which Ixora is this?
Root cutting. It formed a nice compact tree about 10 feet high and had to be chopped down, Sprouting from the base it now is a large bush. It is adjacent to Gardenias but fragrance surpasses them.
Four years ago on web it was Ixora Chinensis now it is .....?
Arif Sb, isn't it Ixora fragrans rather?
I repeat; Mine says it makes no difference to me, call me what ever you like :D
Shakespeare said the same :-) "What's in a name? that which we call a rose...By any other name would smell as sweet;"

On the other hand, at the time of creation, Hazrat Adam was taught the names of all things and when the angels were asked, they were clueless. Names matter :-)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Farooq, do not rub on my tender spot. I thank Allah that at 83 I still remember faces, what if I cant remember some names.
On the other hand, at the time of creation, Hazrat Adam was taught the names of all things and when the angels were asked, they were clueless. Names matter :-)
Word Names here refers to knowledge (I may be wrong).

I was joking of course. May God bless you!
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

I am quite certain that the fragrant desi Ixora is Ixora Parviflora. Turns out this is a native tree of Indian Subcontinent (Southern India). https://books.google.com.pk/books?id=sm ... ia&f=false

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”