Vigna caracalla (Snail Vine)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Vigna caracalla (Snail Vine)

Post by M Farooq »

(c
Botanical Name Vigna caracalla, Synonyms: Caracalla pulcherrima, Phaseolus caracalla L.
Family Fabaceae
Local Name in Urdu Not available
Common Name Snail vine: Read the "caution" note
Life Cycle Evergreen
Cultivar Name NA
Fragrant or Not Highly fragrant
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) vine
Height > 10 feet
Spacing Not applicable
Flowering Months Summer time
Flower Color Bicolor, cream and purple
Growing Areas Successfully blooming in Lahore
Frost Tender Yes
Exposure Full sun
Soil pH mildly acidic to mildly alkaline.
Propagation Seeds, legume bearing vine; stem cuttings
Uses Ornamental
Other Details Snail vine is one of the most sought after vines for its very unique flower shape and fragrance. From far away the leaves look very similar to the local "saim ki phali" the green been vine. However, the flowers are quite different in shape. Bring soil to a state of visual dryness between watering. Spider mites attack this plant. This vine does not tolerate shade very well!

Caution: This is where the controversy starts, for those who plan to purchase its seeds from online sources. Buyers must carefully check whether it is the "true" fragrant vine. It is commercially sold as snail vine as well as corkscrew vine by some vendors. Also some people of the view that Phaseolus caracalla is a different vine, however highly reliable authentic sources comment that http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/ild-17820 is one and the same thing. Whatever be the name, beware that you get a very similar vine, with the same common name, but without fragrance.

Image by: M. Khabbab
Attachments
snail-vine.jpg
Picture-003.jpg
snail-vine-purple.jpg
snail-vine-purple.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Vigna caracalla (Snail Vine)

Post by mikhurram »

The usual bloom time starts is these days i.e. onwards from first week of September. It is fairly common to see ants climbing over the flowers. Pollination is done by the ants. Seeds are formed after successful pollination and they grow inside the pods.

Healthy snail vines tend to die also which i suspect is from winter cold. People growing them are advised to take cuttings in August/September to ensure they have some stock available.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

I do not think that winter is the issue in lahore for this vine. At least 5 vines have died in last 5 years for me, none in winter. I had always thought that because of tubers, it will re grow but that did not happen. It just dies without any apparent reason. Yes i agree, keeping extra plants propagation through cuttings is best way to grow it.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I guess it survives in neglect once established :roll:

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”