Catharanthus roseus (perennial vinca)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Catharanthus roseus (perennial vinca)

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Botanical Name Catharanthus roseus
Family Apocynaceae
Genus Catharanthus
Specie roseus
Local Name in Urdu ratanjot
Common Name Vinca, Rose Periwinkle, Cayenne Jasmine, Madagascar Periwinkle, Old Maid
Life Cycle Tropicals and Tender Perennials
Fragrant or Not no
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) small shrub
Height 6-36 in.
Spacing 6-9 in.
Flowering Months from spring to late autumn
Flower Color white to dark pink with a darker red centre
Growing Areas All Pakistan
Frost Tender yes
Exposure full sun
Soil pH tolerant
Propagation by seeds
Uses Bedding plant, container plant, border, or groundcover and medicinal plant
Other Details Catharanthus roseus is native to the Indian Ocean island of Madagascar. This herb is now common in many tropical and subtropical regions worldwide. One of the major medical breakthroughs of the last century utilises compounds derived from a popular ornamental plant found in gardens and homes across the world, the Madagascar periwinkle . This tender, perennial plant grows as a herb or a subshrub, sprawling along the ground or standing erect up to a metre in height . The attractive white or pink flowers comprise five petals spreading from a long, tubular throat, while the leathery, dark green leaves are arranged in opposite pairs. Each fruit is formed of two narrow, cylindrical follicles which house numerous grooved seeds. Like many other plants in the Apocynaceae, the sap is a milky latex.As an ornamental plant, it is appreciated for its hardiness in dry and nutritionally deficient conditions, popular in subtropical gardens where temperatures never fall below 5 °C to 7 °C, and as a warm-season bedding plant in temperate gardens. It is noted for its long flowering period, throughout the year in tropical conditions, and from spring to late autumn, in warm temperate climates. Full sun and well-drained soil are preferred. Numerous cultivars have been selected, for variation in flower colour (white, mauve, peach, scarlet and reddish-orange),To encourage branching, and a fuller plant, and consequently more flowering, pinch back shortly after planting. There is no need to deadhead since spent flowers readily drop from plant. Fungal disease can be swift and devastating, and new plants should not be planted in affected soils

Ifrah
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: I've just started loving gardening as a hobby. I'm new to it. But definitely wanna learn more.

Re: Catharanthus roseus (perennial vinca)

Post by Ifrah »

Is it also known as "Sada Bahaar"?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Yes it is Sada bahar
Ifrah
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: I've just started loving gardening as a hobby. I'm new to it. But definitely wanna learn more.

Post by Ifrah »

Thank you Izhar sahab. I finally got the Botanical name of it. Alhamdulillah! :)

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”