Allamanda cathartica

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Allamanda cathartica

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Botanical Name Allamanda cathartica
Family Apocynaceae
Genus Allamanda
Specie cathartica
Common Name Golden Trumpet, Yellow Allamanda
Life Cycle perrinial
Fragrant or Not yes
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) vine
Height 10-12 ft.
Spacing 4-6 ft.
Flowering Months summer
Flower Color yellow
Growing Areas All hot areas of pakistan
Frost Tender No should be saved from frost
Exposure full sun
Soil pH tolerant
Propagation From softwood cuttings
From hardwood cuttings
Uses ornamental vine
Other Details Yellow allamanda is a massive climbing evergreen shrub native to tropical South America.As a vine, it will grow rapidly to 20’. Features clusters of yellow, trumpet-shaped, single or double flowers with white throat markings and leathery, wavy-margined, obovate, light green leaves (4-6” long) that appear in whorls of 3-4 or in pairs along the stems. The fragrant, loosely clustered blooms appear in summer. Spiny seed capsules follow the flowers. The coarse oval leaves are leathery and glossy. The long, scrambling stems will climb any structures available, or will grow as a freestanding shrub if their tips are regularly pruned. This handsome climber requires full sun and fertile, well-drained soil for best growth. In temperate regions, yellow allamanda may be summered outdoors in containers and brought into a greenhouse or conservatory to overwinter. Whether grown as a vine or kept pruned back as a shrub, yellow allamanda makes a wonderful, everblooming specimen plant. It also makes an excellent hedge or screen where hardy.Best flowering in full sun. Best performance occurs in hot and humid climates where nighttime temperatures do not dip below 60 degrees F. The plant has milky sap and is considered poisonous; all parts are highly cathartic (hence the botanical name).
Images courtesy brig Muhammad Arif.
double allamanda.

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Allamanda cathartica

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Ahhh! just the plant I was searching for... :D :) :D :)
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

I have this plant at my place . Its flowers are soo soothing on your eye, I just love them ... The vine is still small but growing fast, already reached my six feet boundary wall .. gives 3-4 flowers on daily basis ..beautiful and shiny green leaves look good too. A good vine to have in your garden.
Javed Ashraf.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Jd, some images please.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

munir wrote:Jd, some images please.
Dear Ashraf shb, the images you posted under the Allamanda entry is not Allamanda. We will create a separate entry for this beautiful vine for the sake of the accuracy of the database because most people mistakenly call that vine "Allamanda". It is also called wild Allamanda on the web because of its apparent similarity. The true Allamanda is the one posted by Kisana shb from Brig. Arif's garden. I will move those images to the new entry if you don't mind.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”