Pandanus odoratissimus (Kewra)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Pandanus odoratissimus (Kewra)

Post by mikhurram »

Here's are more close up pictures of the mature kewra plant with its dried flower whose photos i had posted earlier.

Today i planted the young Kewra plant in a soil bed. I hope this plant does not get uprooted as my mother has an aversion to thorny plants whom she believes are from hell. As an insurance i am thinking of getting another Kewra plant.
Last edited by mikhurram on December 1st, 2013, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

This plant gained popularity in this Forum primarily because of the lovely fragrance it is said to emit. Imran,you must therefore,look for/focus on that. Also, since this plant was much sought for in this Forum but was hard to find in Pakistan,how could it be multiplied.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

mikhurram wrote:I hope this plant does not get uprooted as my mother has an aversion to thorny plants whom she believes are from hell. As an insurance i am thinking of getting another Kewra plant.
my point of view about cactus's is same as your mother's...so i haven't any cactus.. :)
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Munir wrote:This plant gained popularity in this Forum primarily because of the lovely fragrance it is said to emit. Imran,you must therefore,look for/focus on that. Also, since this plant was much sought for in this Forum but was hard to find in Pakistan,how could it be multiplied.
It is very easy to grow from stem cuttings. Khurram sahab, where did you buy this kewra? And if you really plan to grow a second one, why don't you cut a branch from the (male) plant whose pictures you have recently posted?
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

I love cacti :mrgreen:
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

M Farooq » December 2nd, 2013, 12:48 am
It is very easy to grow from stem cuttings. Khurram sahab, where did you buy this kewra? And if you really plan to grow a second one, why don't you cut a branch from the (male) plant whose pictures you have recently posted?
Dr Farooq the young Kewra plant was given as gift to me by someone who had grown Kewra in his garden more than 30 odd years back. Stem cuttings can be taken but the temperature these days is a bit cold for propagation of stem cuttings. February would be more ideal for that purpose and also i am familiar with the residents of the house having this mature Kewra plant. Hopefully in 3 years the young kewra plant which has been planted by me ought to bear flowers.
by Munir » December 1st, 2013, 6:27 pm
This plant gained popularity in this Forum primarily because of the lovely fragrance it is said to emit. Imran,you must therefore,look for/focus on that. Also, since this plant was much sought for in this Forum but was hard to find in Pakistan,how could it be multiplied.
Munir Sahib don't worry i will definitely try to find a way to propagate Kewra which has aroused interest among some of the members.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

typo error - had meant to write that i am not familiar with the residents of the house having the mature Kewra plant.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Saw two mature Kewra specimens at Lawrence Gardens, Lahore a few days back. They have a rich collection of some very rare plants but aren't propagating any of them as evident from looking at these Kewra from whom countless cuttings can be propagated.

M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Nice. This one looks like a fragrant Pandanus. Hope your kewra is doing well!
hkabari
Gardening Interests: Herbs and their derivatives used in Herbal Medicine

Post by hkabari »

Assalam o Alaikum. Need advise on planting Kewra plant in Karachi, Hub area. please advise on its availability and soil requirement.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”