Alstroemeria

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Alstroemeria

Post by Hamad »

Botanical Name Alstroemeria
Family Alstroemeriaceae
Genus Alstroemeria
Specie N/A
Local Name in Urdu N/A
Common Name Peruvian lily or lily of the Incas
Life Cycle Perennial
Cultivar Name N/A
Category(Bulb/Corm/Tuber/Rhizome/root) Rhizome
Hardiness Hardy
Hardiness Zone Zone 8-10
Soil PH 5.5-7.0
Planting Time Fall
Planting Depth 7.87 inches (20 cm)
Spacing 10 inches to 20 inches(25 cm to 50 cm)
Height 40-60 inches
Exposure Full or partial sun
Flowering Time Spring to Early Summer
Flower Color Available in different colours
Fragrant No
Uses Grow in pots, flowering beds, borders and used as cut flower
Propagation By dividing the off sets and planting them separately when they are dormant
Difficulty(Easy/Intermediate/Hard ) Hard
Suitable for (KHI/LHR/RWL/ISL/PWR/High Lands) Chile variety could grow in RWL/ISL and Highlands ( recommended for cold areas) but Brazilian variety could be grown in comparatively warm climate like LHR/North East of PWR but could face problem in KHI
Tips to grow Require good drainage, Being a Hardy bulb they are summer dormant(Chile variety), dig them in summer and store them in cool dry place but Brazilian variety is winter dormant but now they produce new Hybrid variety which is ever green and also produce flowers from early spring to late summer
Other Details Native to South America, further divided into two main varieties one from central Chile and second from Brazil, Chile variety is Hardy and winter grower and the Brazilian variety is summer grown but now The most popular and showy hybrids commonly grown today result from crosses between species from Chile (winter-growing) with species from Brazil (summer-growing). This strategy has overcome the problem of seasonal dormancy and resulted in plants that are evergreen, or nearly so, and flower for most of the year. This breeding work derives mainly from trials that began in the United States in the 1980s. The flower, which resembles a miniature lily, is very popular for bouquets and flower arrangements in the commercial cut flower trade.Most cultivars available for the home garden will bloom in the late spring and early summer. The roots are hardy to a temperature of 23 °F (−5 °C). The plant requires at least six hours of morning sunlight, regular water, and well-drained soil

PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Re: Alstroemeria

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

great job..hamad bhai very comprehensive entry.thanks for joining plant database.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:great job..hamad bhai very comprehensive entry.thanks for joining plant database.
Thanks for appreciating :)
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Shahidrazzaq
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Bushes, climbers, perrenials, annuals

Post by Shahidrazzaq »

Dear Mr. Hamad,
Would Alstroemeria grow in lahore ? I have a few plants of the dwarf variety Alstroemeria Inticancha that I was planning to plant in an outdoor bed in September. Will it grow there as a perennial ? Would flowering be profuse ? I am trying to grow them in a cool spot nowadays. Would appreciate advise
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Aoa Shahid

It should be ok in Lahore, I know some people in and around Lahore growing Alstromeria, I also have few in my collection but they are dormant, it would be better if you plant them in pots instead of bed coz it will be convenient for you to change their location when they are dormant and you could also place your pots in bed when they start sprouting.
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”