Narcissus

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Narcissus

Post by Hamad »

Botanical Name Narcissus
Family Amaryllidaceae
Genus Narcissus
Specie Registered Species are in triple figure
Local Name in Urdu گل- نرگس
Common Name Daffodil, Narcissus, and Jonquil
Life Cycle Perennial
Cultivar Name Registered Cultivars are in four to five figures
Category(Bulb/Corm/Tuber/Rhizome/root) Bulb
Hardiness Hardy
Hardiness zone 04 to 11
Soil PH 06 to 07
Planting Time Early fall
Planting Depth 05 Inches (12.5cm)
Spacing 01 to 03 Inches (2.5cm to 9cm) also like to grow in clumps
Height 6 inches to 20 inches (15cm to 50cm)
Exposure Full Sun
Flowering Time Fall to Spring
Flower Colour Usually colours are Yellow and White, but also available in Pink, Orange, Green and Bi-colours
Fragrant Highly fragrant
Uses could be grown in Pots/Containers, flowering beds and borders also use as cut flower
Propagation By dividing the offsets and planting them separately when they are dormant
Difficulty(Easy/Intermediate/Hard ) Easy
Suitable for (KHI/LHR/RWL/ISL/PWR/High Lands) All areas
Tips to grow They grow well in Flowering beds with good drainage, our local variety Gul-e-nargis can take heat of summer and survive in ground when they are dormant, but exotic varieties need to be lifter in summer and stored in dry cool place and for the next season plant them in early fall, most of the varieties of Narcissus are Hardy and flower in fall to spring but few consider paper white as tender, paper white and Gul-e-Nargis are the most successful in Pakistan
Other Details Narcissus is a Mythical flowering plant, as many controversial stories are associated with this beauty, mainly from Greece , even in Pakistan there are many myths associated with Gul-e-nargis but none proved to be factual, so plant them, sit back and enjoy the beautiful strong fragrance .
Native to Europe, North Africa, Western Asia and the Mediterranean region, Narcissi are one of the oldest cultivated bulbous ornamental plants. They are members of the “Amaryllis” plant family. Today, there are sixty known species and many horticultural varieties.
There are twelve ‘Divisions’ of Narcissus, each with different blossom characteristics based on the size and shape of the trumpet. They come in various shapes, sizes and colors ─ yellow, white and even bi-colored with orange or pink
All types of Narcissi are very long-lived in the landscape; they grow well in our region, and will multiply over time forming a large mass of beautiful color. They need good drainage and grow best in full sun locations. As with all types of bulbs, gardeners should leave the foliage intact after blooming. Don’t remove the old foliage until it has yellowed. The foliage produces food for the bulbs to bloom in the next season.
Attachments
Capture02.PNG
Capture01.PNG
Capture01.PNG (279.89 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
PrOud tO BE Oo92
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Narcissus

Post by KBW »

This is a great job Hamad sb. Keep it up. :)

I have been a great fan of narcissus, specially the common narcissus which has the best and the strongest fragrance and needs no special care, if one has done the basics right. I even grew them successfully in Sialkot and they flowered year after year.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

KBW wrote:This is a great job Hamad sb. Keep it up. :)

I have been a great fan of narcissus, specially the common narcissus which has the best and the strongest fragrance and needs no special care, if one has done the basics right. I even grew them successfully in Sialkot and they flowered year after year.
Thank you KBW :) and indeed this flower has a beautiful fragrance

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Really beautiful. All integrated Narcissuses. Great view and good information. Thank you.
Is white double paper white would be available in coming season in local market of pakistan?
Rafique
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

I love narcissus but they dont bloom the second year, i am trying the chilling method this season...fingers crossed :)

Rafique sb, you have grown paper whites before can you please share the experience about flowering the next season and any local source from where we can buy these beauties :)
rafique

Post by rafique »

Tahir Bhai, Two years back planted last years bulbs but got only vegetative growth with no flowers.
Last year again planted fresh and got flowers. will try old ones this year again.
Should the bullbs be chilled or not this time? if so for how long and when. Please advice?
Will also try to plant some fresh blubs agin this year.
Rafique
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

rafique wrote:Really beautiful. All integrated Narcissuses. Great view and good information. Thank you.
Is white double paper white would be available in coming season in local market of pakistan?
Rafique sb I m not sure if they would be available or not, but we are importing some from UK and I will bring some more in December, if I would manage to get any white double I will share with you, I have yellow double and it flowered for me in second year.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Beautiful Post.Remembered my child days spent in Abbottabad where they were wildly grown.Have few Plants in Peshawar which just vanish in Summers and bloom in winters.They are grown through bulbs,could we grow them through seeds?
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Most true bulbs form next year's bud during fall on previous year, before shedding the leaves. It is therefore very important to feed them well and provide them conducive conditions after they have flowered. If the bud has been formed, it will bloom next year any way except in very inhospitable conditions. That is the reason that most true bulbs flower first year in Pakistan but neglect after flowering and more importantly, sudden change in weather (hot climate) does not allow them to form a bud for next year.

NOTE: What I have written above pertains to true bulbs only and does not concern rhizomes, tubers, tuberous roots and corms.
rafique

Post by rafique »

Thanks you Hammand sb for your offer, i would like to share these beauties with you.
In this year's catalogue chanan din write there for some double varities, that is why i am hoping to get locally.
Any how i am grateful for you.
Regrads
Rafique

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”