Clitoria Ternatea (Butterfly Pea)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Clitoria Ternatea (Butterfly Pea)

Post by jdashraf »

Botanical Name Clitoria ternatea (Butterfly Pea)
Family Papilionaceae
Genus Clitoria
Specie Ternatea
Local Name in Urdu Neelofar
Common Name Butterfly Pea, blue-pea, and cordofan-pea
Life Cycle Evergreen
Cultivar Name --
Fragrant or Not No
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) Vine
Height 12-15 feet
Spacing 2-3 feet
Flowering Months Early Summer, Mid summer, late summer,Early fall
Flower Color Medium Blue, Dark Blue, Blue-Violet, Purple
Growing Areas Throughout Pakistan
Frost Tender N/A
Exposure Full sun, may tolerate little shade
Soil pH 6 to 7.5 (neutral)
Propagation From Seeds, sow from Mar to Sep
Uses In traditional Ayurvedic medicine, it has been used for centuries as a memory enhancer, nootropic, antistress, anxiolytic, antidepressant, anticonvulsant, tranquilizing and sedative agent.
In Southeast Asia the flowers are used to colour food. In Malay cooking, an aqueous extract is used to colour glutinous rice. In Thailand, a syrupy blue drink is made called nam dok anchan, it is sometimes consumed with a drop of lime juice to increase acidity and turn the juice into pink-purple. In Burmese and Thai cuisine the flowers are also dipped in batter and fried.
Other Details Very easy to grow from seeds from pods that dried and browned on the plants. Commonly grown as hedge plant.The flowers are a beautiful blue and the foilage is a consistent gorgeous medium to dark green. Tolerant of a wide range of soils and including alkaline soils. In very hot climates 45C, 113F it appreciates some shade from the afternoon sun. Grows and expands very fast

Javed Ashraf.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Clitoria Ternatea (Butterfly Pea)

Post by M Farooq »

This is one of my favourites. Thanks for creating an entry in the Flora database. I had already created an entry for the same plant in July but yours is far better in terms of details. Can the moderators delete mine and keep this one or perhaps even merge them.

On the other hand, the Urdu name Neelofer, in a strict sense, is reserved for the blue water lily (which is indeed very beautiful too) :-)

Please continue adding entries. I was busy the last so could not add new plants.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Thx Farooq. I m sorry I should have checked before posting this. I thought I am the first one posting about this vine, as I never came across any discussion on this vine on the forum. The vine was blooming in my garden so i could not stop my self.. You may like to merge any additional information from this post into your post, as you posted about this vine first. You can edit your post, admin not required.
Javed Ashraf.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Okay..no problem you can always check the index which Farhan has made. We are slightly short of 200 entries...those who were adding entries are apparently naraaz from us ... I am more inclined to delete mine because your pictures are excellent and refreshing (after merging some info).
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

This comes in white too. Both single and double petals.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Its so beautiful.Thanks Farroq.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Its so beautiful.Thanks Farroq.
It indeed is, but the flowers close in the afternoon...so the beauty does not last forever :-(

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”