Aristolochia elegans (Dutchman's Pipe)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Aristolochia elegans (Dutchman's Pipe)

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Botanical Name Aristolochia elegans
Family Aristolochiaceae
Genus Aristolochia
Specie elegans
Common Name Elegant Dutchman's Pipe, Calico Flower, Pelican Flower
Life Cycle Tropicals and Tender Perennials
Fragrant or Not smells like bad meat
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) Vines and Climbers
Height 6-15 ft
Spacing 36-48 in.
Flowering Months spring-fall
Flower Color mottled red and white pattern
Growing Areas all hot areas of Pakistan
Frost Tender yes if matured
Exposure Light Shade
Soil pH neutral
Propagation by seeds
Uses ornamental vine
Other Details Aristolochia littoralis or calico flower is a cultivated ornamental vine. Native to Brazil, calico flower is grown for its colorful and unique pipe-shaped flowers. Herbal preparations have been used for various ailments and to ease the pain of childbirth, however these plants are highly toxic. Herbal supplements containing aristolochic acid or other compounds associated with members of this genus should be avoided.
If you are ever close enough to smell the flowers of this plant, resist the temptation. Flowers of this plant produce an odor similar to that of rotting meat. The odor attracts flies to the flower where they pollinate the flower and lay their eggs.Calico flower is an evergreen, climbing vine that can grow from 10 to 15 feet in length. Leaf blades are broadly cordate, 3 to 4 inches long and 2 to 4 inches wide. Flowers are very unusual, usually greenish yellow and dark blackish purple with a tubular shape and flared at the mouth. Borne solitary in leaf axils, the flowers can be found among the foliage and reach nearly 3 inches long. Slender woody stems twine in tight coils around fence wire, other supports, or even other plants.

members comments about this plant.

(mr Arbab's comments)
Its very vigorous climber can grow by more than 10 feet in the first year, in winters its growth almost stops, protect ur seedlings frm frost otherwise they will not thrive.

(M Farooq's comments)
Why does this vine hide its flowers? They are not ugly enough to be ashamed of. I think this has something to do with pollination mechanism to hide the flowers from sunlight and serve as fly traps. The newly blossomed flowers are said to trap flies for the whole day and release them when the anther...

(dr AYKHAN's comments)
Very nice. I agree most Aristolochia flowers are ugly BUT I MUST say they ARE unique. I am trying out two vines the A. grandiflora and A. gigantea. They are quite vigorous and currently going wild!
It's right. I saw in some program that flies enter the flower and it closes behind them. The fly has to travel all the way inside and once it pollinates the other end opens up to let the fly out! If this is not reason enough to have atleast one of these vines then what is???

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Aristolochia elegans

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Is this from the same seeds i sent you? Mine hasn't flowered as yet...dies down in winter.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana

yes farhan bhai it is gift from you.mine is growing wild and now a days blooming.thanks a lot for this precious gift.... :mrgreen:
Hamad Ahmed Kisana

in which season you are sowing seeds.i sowed them in February and almost survived 10 plant...i kept only two and discarded all other because they were growing wild.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Sowed last year summer. Quite a few grew..but then suffered in frost. Now one plant is left and growing well (6 Ft)
Hamad Ahmed Kisana

did you visited plant perhaps it will be on buds because bud and flowers remain hidden bellow foliage.so keep an eye on plant. ;)
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

The flower of Calico is so unique so sweet & beautiful. Its not ugly at all. I love this vine. For the first time i saw this vine at Shoaib nursery Mardan some 10 years back & i was crazy for its unique blooms.Then i got some seeds from Awan seeds Islamabad.It grows like crazy wild vine. I really love it.
grealpasp
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

doxycycline 150 mg xr for acne

Post by grealpasp »

<a href=https://buydoxycyclineon.com/>can you drink with doxycycline</a> Doxycycline Hyclate 50 Mg.
actilla

how long does stromectol take to work

Post by actilla »

<a href=https://stromectol.autos/>stromectol 3 mg tablets price</a> Creatine shouldn t be taken during cycle
accoure

is tamoxifen chemo

Post by accoure »

<a href=https://nolvadex.one/>nolvadex xt</a> Immunoprecipitation with the F3 lanes 8 to 14 monoclonal antibody was used to show that HEG0, HEG19, and the 236E mutants are present in the appropriate in vitro translations

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”