Cassia javanica (Apple blossom tree)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Cassia javanica (Apple blossom tree)

Post by M Farooq »

Botanical Name Cassia javanica, Cassia nodosa
Family Leguminosae
Local Name in Urdu Not available
Common Name Pink shower tree
Life Cycle Deciduous
Cultivar Name N/A
Fragrant or Not No fragrance
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) Can become a huge tree
Height Up to 80 ft
Spacing N/A
Flowering Months Summer time in Pakistan
Flower Color Light pink which fades to white
Growing Areas Pictured specimen is growing in Lahore
Frost Tender No
Exposure Full sun
Soil pH No specific issues
Propagation Seeds
Uses Medicinal and ornamental tree
Other Details Pink coloured Cassias are among the most handsome flowering trees which thrive very well in the climate of Karachi, Lahore, Bhawalpur and similar climates of Pakistan. This tree is a relative of our common Amaltas, which also displays a stunning flower show in the summer. The only drawbacks are (a) its huge size and (b) long black seed pods. Cultivated trees do not reach as high as 80 ft. The seed pods, like Amaltas, have laxative properties.
Photo credit: M. Khabbab

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Cassia javanica (Apple blossom tree)

Post by KBW »

This is a stunning tree. Thanks for sharing details. This is a priceless job that you guys are doing. I wonder how many of us realise the importance of such kind of work. Commendable.

I saw a speciment growing in Bahawalpur and it was marvelous. Doesn't do well in colder areas though. BTW, is it not from family Fabaceae? Amaltas (Cassia fistula) is from family Fabaceae.

And if I may suggest, mention of natural habitat of a plant is a very important factor which may be included in the database.
regards
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Thank you KBW sb for adding local info. Now we have more than 350 individual identified plants in the database and 1/3 is just your set of roses. Hope we get more local pictures and our pictorial catalogue grows bigger and bigger (BTW, google does not search these entries, which is rather a disadvantage). BTW, do you have specific information how Cassia javanica and Cassia grandis are different. I feel Flowers of India website is incorrect and calls this tree as Cassia grandis. Both names are "not" synonyms.
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/s ... 0Tree.html

This is where I feel a "vacuum" - wish we had at least one professional botanist here. You are right sir, Fabaceae is an alternative name of Leguminosae, and both are valid. I just find "legumes" easy...and some botanists prefer the latter name.

http://www.ibiologia.unam.mx/sociedad/w ... inosae.pdf
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

The scion of Cassia Nodosa is usually grafted it into the local Amaltas (Cassia Fistula) which is used as the rootstock and the grafted tree starts blooming after 3 years. It is advisable to graft it using Amaltas rather paying a premium of Rs 4000-5000 for a 4 year old grafted Cassia Nodosa. A newly grafted small Cassia Nodosa can be bought around Rs 400.

The branches of Cassia Nodosa bearing clusters of flowers form an umbrella. In addition there is another colour in Cassia Nodosa which i believe is white. Overall it is a beautiful/striking tree and a must have in a garden.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

How long for a seedling to flower?
My Amaltas bloomed in 4 years, but Cassia Javonica and other four varieties including a grafted one, planted at the same time have yet to flower. One of them is 20 feet high and 15 feet spread. Any tips to getting them to bloom?
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir, i would suggest waiting till spring next year (2014) or you may consider putting 'Plant Food' spikes available at Pride Seeds and Chanan Din Seeds.

Sometimes they take more than 4 years. My Chorisia speciosa took 4-5 years to flower.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

What makes Cassia Nodosa special is that they are loaded with clusters of flowers during the hot summer months when one seldom sees other trees loaded with flowers. It's quite a sight to see Cassia Nodosa in bloom. The branches spread wide outwards to form a canopy like structure providing a welcome relief from the hot blazing summer sun. I had some pictures which got deleted accidently. Those considering to plant this tree are advised that there should be distance of at-least 15 feet from adjoining Cassia Nodosa's.

Those residing in Islamabad can view Cassia Nodosa in its bloom at Islamabad Club.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Yes in Islamabad club & Serena hotel, Islamabad. I have two trees. I hope they will bloom next year Inshallah.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Beautiful isn't it?
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Indeed it is. Is it recommended for growing in the backyard garden?
BTW, I have a vacancy for one tree(only),for which I was thinking of inviting the suggestions in the Forum; I'll better open a separate thread.
This was also the reason I had requested Brig Arif to tag the pictures of his impressive garden.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”