Cassia javanica (Apple blossom tree)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Cassia javanica (Apple blossom tree)

Post by mikhurram »

Munir Sahib opt for this tree but it should be planted in an area having at-least 5-6 hours of sunshine. The spacing between the trees should be around 16-20 feet as this tree tends to form a canopy like structure horizontally loaded with flowers providing welcome refuge against blistering heat during May & June.

There are two colours available in this tree and the pink colour whose photos i have posted looks more stunning. I have mentioned some information at the beginning of this thread. A small grafted Cassia Nodosa ought to be available around Rs 400-500 & takes 3-4 years minimum to flower. The only drawback it has is that its flowers are not fragrant.
Last edited by mikhurram on June 8th, 2014, 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Very beautiful. I want to grow it on road side. It will give stunning view.
Rohail Asad
City: Wah-Cantt
Gardening Interests: I have interest in flowering plants(both annuals and perennials)

Post by Rohail Asad »

Sir Munir, my suggestion is Brugmansia ( angel's trumpet) for your lawn. a flowering ornamental plant and Most have a strong, pleasing fragrance that is most noticeable in the evening.choice is yours.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

My Nodosa fowered for the first time this year after 4 years.Farooq sb its a beautiful tree loaded with pink flowers all summer.Plant it out in open space cause it forms canopy & the branches spreads horizontally from the base just like Aerocaria tree.Never cut off the branches so that your tree remains in strong other wise winds may up root.It happened with one of my friend.It is grafted on two root stocks. The first is Cassia Fistula & the other i dont remember the exact name but is also cassia a small tree with yellow flowers. Mine are forming majestic trees, but last weekend i saw Naosa at Hayatabad Peshawar with max hight of four feet & full of blooms.
So yesterday i asked a nurseryman what is this this. He told me if the stock is Fistula (Amaltas) the tree will beMajestic, if its the other stock the tree will remain dwarf.Then he also showed me the root stock.Amaltas was purchased from Patoki while the other was purchased from Haripur.I agree because i have even seen Nadosa 2 ft plant in full blooms in 10 inchs pot. Rehmat was the first nursery man who offered me Nadosa some 5 years back.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Brugmansia is also a nice plant, very fragrant but its a shrub not a tree.Nadosa is a beauty of its own kind.I,l post some pictures of mine.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Last weekend i saw Cassia nadusa on the rootstock of fistula flowering in just 7 inches pot (i have pics in my phone) for a price of 2500 Rs being sold at patoki. Fragrant flowers. And suitable for pot culture. The common tree one needs soil bed to flower imo.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1402475306914.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1402475306914.jpg
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Very healthy discussion going on here.. I also want to plant some "quick to flower" tree with fragrance... About brugmansia, found very good information on following link:-
http://www.trumpetflowers.com/info/gett ... -bloom.htm
Javed Ashraf.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Cassia Nodosa currently in bloom. This one is an 8 year old specimen and forms a canopy around 20-25 feet wide.
The image is only showing 1/2 the tree. Highly recommended for those considering a tree in their garden.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”