Desmodium motorium (Telegraph Plant-Rare Plants of Pakistan)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Desmodium motorium (Telegraph Plant-Rare Plants of Pakistan)

Post by M Farooq »

The telegraph plant is rather an uncommon plant of Pakistan, which is naturally found in Kashmir (Source: Flora of Pakistan). The beauty of this plant is that the young leaves can be seen to "dance" slowly - by responding to sounds (i.e. vibrations or even sunlight). See movie and the picture below:
Botanical Name Desmodium motorium, Desmodium gyrans
Family Fabaceae
Local Name in Urdu Tell us- this plant is found in Kashmir
Common Name Telegraph plant
Life Cycle Tell us
Cultivar Name Not applicable
Fragrant or Not Tell us
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) Bush
Height 60-120 cm tall shrub
Spacing Usually grown as a single plant
Flowering Months August - September in Pakistan
Flower Color Pink-Purple
Growing Areas Grows naturally in Kashmir
Frost Tender Tell us
Exposure Partial shade
Soil pH Prefers slightly acidic soil
Propagation Seeds
Uses Mainly a curiosity plant
Other Details "The Telegraph plant prefers a mildly acid to neutral soil. The soil must be consistently moist, without drying out between waterings. The perfect place for this plant is light shade, since direct sun is far too strong for its delicate nature.It is a small and delicate plant, also recognized as a curiosity plant for its ability to move its leaves; something only a very few plants, like Venus Fly Traps and the Sensitive Plant can do. The foliage is very simple but it produces stunning violet flowers.

A single stem rises from the soil and grows separate delicate smaller stems to bear the leaves. They are oblong and shiny green. The plant has the special ability to slowly rotate the leaflets that accompany each leaf. It will do so under the influence of touch, sunshine, warmth or even small vibrations caused by music being played."
Information: http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/49039986 ... Seeds.html

Photographs from the web and the above mentioned link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVBTqh37TGM

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Desmodium motorium (Telegraph Plant-Rare Plants of Pakis

Post by KBW »

Farooq bhai, thanks a lot for sharing a very interesting native Pakistani plant. I have seen this plant growing wild in Bagh and Neelam Vally but I didn't know its name.

What a wealth of flora and fauna we have in Pakistan's wilderness. I wish some day we will have competent researchers and scholars to tell us more about this beautiful country. At the moment, we are enjoying an intellectual holiday which doesn't seem to be ending somehow.

You guys are doing a priceless job. Keep it up :)

regards
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

KBW wrote:Farooq bhai, thanks a lot for sharing a very interesting native Pakistani plant. I have seen this plant growing wild in Bagh and Neelam Vally but I didn't know its name.

What a wealth of flora and fauna we have in Pakistan's wilderness. I wish some day we will have competent researchers and scholars to tell us more about this beautiful country. At the moment, we are enjoying an intellectual holiday which doesn't seem to be ending somehow.

You guys are doing a priceless job. Keep it up :)

regards
Thanks for appreciation. You are totally right about scholars in the sense that there is a lack of interest compounded by lack of competence. Once upon a time faculty hiring was being done in one major public university and the first position holder in science was asked "Can we use chicken's blood for a human if we are short of human blood for transfusion" The answer was "Yes we can, but the quantity of chicken's blood would be too small for humans."
On the other hand we have few gems who are good enough to make Pakistanis proud. Dr. Yousuf Zafer won the world's best cotton scientist award by an international agency last year...for his work covers 90% of the published work on cotton viruses.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Thats a great Farooq sb. and it also adds charms to flora pakistan database.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Mustansir Billah wrote:Thats a great Farooq sb. and it also adds charms to flora pakistan database.
Thanks, I always admire your interest in plants given that you are the youngest active member here :-). Hope more youngsters start taking interest in Nature as well. So why don't you share pictures of new trees and plants (leaves, flowers and whole plants) that you happen to see in Karachi? We will create entries for your submissions to your credit. You will learn and all of us would learn something new in that process. And this would be your side-activity since studies should be your first priority.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

M Farooq wrote:
Mustansir Billah wrote:Thats a great Farooq sb. and it also adds charms to flora pakistan database.
Thanks, I always admire your interest in plants given that you are the youngest active member here :-). Hope more youngsters start taking interest in Nature as well. So why don't you share pictures of new trees and plants (leaves, flowers and whole plants) that you happen to see in Karachi? We will create entries for your submissions to your credit. You will learn and all of us would learn something new in that process. And this would be your side-activity since studies should be your first priority.
Although I have very less time due to extra classes, Coa. and college but I always seek upon unique plants but can not take camera with me outside because of bad situation of the city but as soon as the 2nd year is passed I will be active and will contribute much although it is my interest.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Good luck with your studies (second year is crucial)...Allah mian Karachi per reham keray.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Im surprised this plant hasn't been marketed in the wider gardening community, in particular cultured for indoor propogation in the west. it really is a handsome enough plant and the novelty of its dance would make it marketable.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

newton wrote:Im surprised this plant hasn't been marketed in the wider gardening community, in particular cultured for indoor propogation in the west. it really is a handsome enough plant and the novelty of its dance would make it marketable.
Besides the interesting "dance" are you aware of any readable and reliable account as to why the leaves rotate periodically? I still don't understand why touch-me not closes its leaf on touching them?
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Farooq Sb I will try

Desmodium gyrans possesses thin cell walls filled with water/chemicals called pulvinus. A change in temperature, or level of sunlight on the plant will cause the pulvinus in the stems to absorb more water thus making the stems swell or release water and make the stems reduce in size. When such a phenomenon occurs, the leaves on the stems will appear to be dancing. This is a strategy evolved to maximise photosynthesis in forest floors by tracking the sun. Each leaf is equipped with a hinge that permits it to be moved to receive more sunlight, but the weight of the larger leaves means the plant must expend a lot of energy in moving them. To optimise its movement, each large leaf has two small leaflets at its base. These move constantly along an elliptical path, sampling the intensity of sunlight, and directing the large leaf to the area of most intensity.

Besides that, Desmodium gyrans can also respond to sound waves. When the plants are exposed to gentle sounds of 35 to 40 dB, the the small leaflets will begin to dance. At night the plants stems will droop and the leaves relax down and I guess that answers the question why its an unpopular houseplant after all who wants something half dead looking in their lounge.

Mimosa pudica, the 'sensitive plant', that you refer to is a source of fascination to adults and children alike. When touched, the narrow fern-like leaflets they almost instantaneously fold together and the leaf stalk droops. This sometimes sets off a chain reaction, with several leaf stalks falling on top of one another. The plant will gradually returns to normal, taking up to about half an hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thigmonasty - "This touch-induced movement of leaves is known scientifically as thigmonasty The pulvinus is a motor structure consisting of a rod of sclerenchyma surrounded by collenchyma. The structure is widespread in the legume family. In its extended position, the cells of the entire collenchyma are distended with water. On receiving the action potential signal, the cells in the lower half of the pulvinus respond by expelling potassium and chlorine ions and taking up of calcium ions. This results in an osmotic gradient that draws water out of the affected cells. The lower pulvinus cells temporarily shrink due to water loss. This forces the entire structure to curve down in the manner of a fan. In this contracted position, the pulvinus no longer functions as a support and the petiole droops."

Western, Chinese and South Asian alternative medicine quote this plant as being effective against a range of illness and conditions. However I strongly feel that these claims are unsubstantiated, beyond the scope of this forum and their promotion is inappropriate.

Regards
Ifzal

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”