Eucomis

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Eucomis

Post by Hamad »

Botanical Name Eucomis
Family Asparagaceae
Genus Eucomis
Specie 15 or more
Local Name in Urdu N/A
Common Name pineapple flowers, pineapple Lilies and King's flower
Life Cycle Perennial
Cultivar Name
Category(Bulb/Corm/Tuber/Rhizome/root) Bulb
Hardiness Tender I - injured below 68°F (20°C) few species like autumnalis are Frost Hardy and get injured below 0°C
HardinessZone Zone 7 with mulch, Zones 8 to 11 without mulch.
Soil PH 6.1 to 7.5
Planting Time Spring
Planting Depth 8 inches (20 cm)
Spacing 6-12 inches (15 cm), one per 6-inch pot
Height 12-24 inches (30-60 cm)
Exposure full am sunlight
Flowering Time Summer
Flower Color Green, purple, white, yellow, pink and bicolour
Fragrant yes
Uses could be grown in pots also used as cut flowers
Propagation By dividing the bulbs when they are dormant
Difficulty(Easy/Intermediate/Hard ) easy
Suitable for (KHI/LHR/RWL/ISL/PWR/High Lands) suitable for LHR,KHI and PSWR not sure if they will perform in RWP/ISL
Tips to grow The best guide to growing any plant is to replicate its native conditions, so dry winters and wet summers is the safest advice for those trying eucomis outside. Full sun is important, because even in half shade the leaves will droop, but the bold foliage is a great adornment to any garden.
Plant them in a container if you're worried about risking them in the ground over winter - each bulb will need a pot about 23cm across. Bring them into the greenhouse under the staging when the cold weather starts. (A frost proof shed would be fine too.) Bulbs should be kept dry but may need the odd drink to stop them shrivelling. Start watering properly around the end of April and feed them well in the summer to build up their strength
Other Details A native of South Africa, where it grows wild, Eucomis is a member of the lily family. It is known as the pineapple plant because it wears what looks like a ruff above a fat column of striking starry-green flowers. The large leaves are so lush and tropical-looking that, even without the flower, it is worth including in any exotic scheme
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Re: Eucomis

Post by Hamad »

References for the above entries are RHS and few other societies, Uni of NC and Florida and Dave's garden

if any member could provide me with a photo then that would be great

for above entry it comes with two family names as mentioned above I cross checked with few more sources and finding were same

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

We can take the picture from here viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2872&p=26899&hilit=Eucomis#p26899 (From A. Y Khan's)

For family confirmation, the most reliable database is "The Plant List" http://www.theplantlist.org/ (which has latest information about families).

Regards,
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Some of the information listed above needs amendment. Full sun might be important only during our winters and may have be written in context to South African conditions. Eucomis are seen growing on hill sides in South African Gardens tour in "Around the world in 80 gardens". Here in Pakistan our summers are extremely hot and would require protection from afternoon sun during our hot summers season (May, June, July, August, Sept). However late afternoon sun would be beneficial during our winter season which has just set in.
For our summers they preferably should be placed in a location where they get protection from hot afternoon sun (from 12 am onwards).

If grown in hilly areas of South Africa then full sun would be ideal also for their summers.

Eucomis can also be grown from seeds though it's a bit difficult to grow them seeds but can be done. I bought seeds of Eucomis from Kew Garden and some of them germinated surprisingly.

My 5 year Eucomis bulbs are yet to bloom and those raised from seed have grown into healthy plants. Those raised from bulbs may hopefully bloom in Spring this year. One of our members Mr. Kaleem has been growing Eucomis successfully in Muzzafarabad. Attached is a picture from his collection and he can be asked to share his experience.

My experience is that Eucomis is not a bulb that can be grown easily like Amaryllis with context to our landscape.
Attachments
Eucomis.jpg
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Thank you Khurram for sharing the above information and yes indeed the requirement of sun varies from summer to winter, and for the above plant growing season is summer and addressing to summer its full am sun and in our summer afternoon sun can burn plants quite easily.
thanks again Khurram

Farooq Bhai I checked from your source its Asparagaceae as family name so now we have another vote for this name, Farooq Bhai the source is quite informative thanks for sharing it will help me compiling new entries.

thanks again

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”