Eranthis

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Eranthis

Post by Hamad »

Botanical Name Eranthis
Family Ranunculaceae
Genus Eranthis
Specie 7 Species
Local Name in Urdu N/A
Common Name winter aconite
Life Cycle Perennial
Cultivar Name
Category(Bulb/Corm/Tuber/Rhizome/root) Bulb
Hardiness Hardy
Hardiness Zone 03 to 07 without mulch, Injured at temperatures below 5 degrees
Soil PH Neutral to slightly acidic
Planting Time Fall
Planting Depth 5 inches
Spacing 1 inch apart, they like to grow in clumps
Height 13cm
Exposure Full Sun
Flowering Time January and March
Flower Color bright yellow
Fragrant No
Uses Ground cover and borders
Propagation Keep a close eye on the little green seed pods among the dying foliage. Once the seed turns black sow it immediately or it will not be viable.
Aconites may be dug up shortly after flowering and transplanted. Snap the tubers into several pieces and replant immediately, dusting the broken surface with fungicide to prevent decay.
Difficulty(Easy/Intermediate/Hard ) Moderate, depend on the climate in cold areas not too difficult but difficult in warm climate
Suitable for (KHI/LHR/RWL/ISL/PWR/High Lands) Good for cold areas but not sure if they will perform in warm climate
Tips to grow They hate drying out. Like snowdrops (which are more tolerant), they need to be planted or transplanted "in the green", while the foliage is still fresh and the plants are in active growth. They flourish in any reasonably fertile soil, in full sun or below deciduous trees and shrubs. They do particularly well in chalky soil. Good drainage is essential.
Other Details Eranthis are small tuberous perennials with cup-shaped flowers held above a collar of deeply lobed leaves. There are about 7 species of clump-forming perennials with knobbly tubers that live in damp woodland and shady places in Europe.
Most species do well when grown around deciduous shrubs or trees where the soil is damp and leafy, and their cup-shaped flowers and green ruffs form pretty, low-growing displays in late winter or early spring.
The name Eranthis is from the Greek "er" meaning spring, and "anthos" meaning flower, as this is one of the earliest flowers to bloom
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: Eranthis

Post by Hamad »

Following sources were consulted for the above entry, Dave's Garden, Uni of Florida, some bulb societies and RHS, once Khabbab sb informed me this flower is blooming in a public garden in LHR, Khabbab sb would you be able to arrange a photo for the above entry please and if this plant is blooming in LHR then it could be tried in warm areas, I have yet to try and if I will be successful then I will definitely share my experience.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”