Galtonia

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Galtonia

Post by Hamad »

Botanical Name Galtonia
Family Asparagaceae
Genus Galtonia
Specie 5 species
Local Name in Urdu N/A
Common Name summer hyacinth, spire lily and Berg lily, Cape hyacinth
Life Cycle Perennial
Cultivar Name
Category(Bulb/Corm/Tuber/Rhizome/root) Bulb
Hardiness Hardy –get injured below -2°C
Hardiness Zone 06 to 11 depend on the Specie
Soil PH 6.6 to 7.8
Planting Time Spring
Planting Depth just below the soil surface
Spacing 8-12 inches (20-30 cm)
Height 36-48 inches (90-120 cm)
Exposure full sun
Flowering Time Summer
Flower Color white
Fragrant yes
Uses Border or flowering beds and could also be planted in pots.
Look good when planted with some other plants in a bed
Propagation by dividing the bulbs when they are dormant and also by seeds in some species
Difficulty(Easy/Intermediate/Hard ) easy
Suitable for (KHI/LHR/RWL/ISL/PWR/High Lands)
Tips to grow Plant bulbs at 20 - 30cm intervals in late winter or early spring, with the tops of the bulbs just below the soil surface.
Other Details Galtonia are bulbous perennials with erect strap-shaped leaves and erect stems carrying cone-shaped terminal racemes of nodding, bell-shaped white or green flowers
This superb late summer flowering bulbous perennial puts on a wonderfully prolific display at a time when many others plants are well past their best. Each waxy white flower dangles from the upright stem like a dainty luminous bell emitting a light but heady scent .A native of South Africa, they will be happiest in a sunny spot with moist but well-drained soil.
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: Galtonia

Post by Hamad »

compiling the above entry was a bit difficult as there was not much information available and for due reason its hard to tell in which area it will flourish or grow and perform but as its growing time is spring to summer which could be achievable (means not too cold time of the year) but being hardy means it must require some chilling during its dormancy which may be achievable in RWL/ISL, Murree and regions like Abbottabad, I have tried my level best to dig in but if someone experienced this plant or have some information/knowledge to add, elaborate or point out any mistake then it would be of great help, and I would also like to request if someone can provide me with a photo for the above entry, thanking you in anticipation.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”