Stevia rebaudiana

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Stevia rebaudiana

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Botanical Name Stevia rebaudiana
Family Asteraceae
Genus Stevia
Specie rebaudiana
Common Name Stevia, Sweet Herb of Paraguay,sugar leaf
Life Cycle Tropicals and Tender Perennials
Fragrant or Not no
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) shrub
Height 24-36 in.
Spacing 24-36 in.
Flowering Months Blooms repeatedly
Flower Color white
Growing Areas All Pakistan
Frost Tender yes
Exposure full sun/partial shade
Soil pH tolerent
Propagation From woody stem cuttings
From seed
By air layering
Uses Stevia is used as a natural sweetener
Other Details stevia is 300 times more sweeter than sugar.Stevia is a small shrub like perennial plant which belongs to sunflower (Asteraceae) family. The leaves of Stevia are a source of natural zero-calorie sweetener which is considered sweeter than sugar (sucrose). It has been used all over the world as a sugar substitute and in the treatment of a number of health conditions for centuries. Initially the leaves of Stevia were consumed fresh or dried but eventually chemists isolated the glycosides called stevioside and rebaudioside from its leaves that give stevia its sweet taste. Stevia also contains phytonutrients, trace elements, minerals, vitamins and volatile oils which give Stevia its nutritional and medicinal properties. In 2008, FDA (The Food and Drug Administration) approved sweetener derived from the herb stevia as safe for use in foods and beverages. The steviols glycosides are now used in herbal supplements, foods and beverages, and as sweetening powders and syrups. Unlike other sweeteners, Stevia can be used in baking and cooking and its lesser amount is ample.
medicinal uses.
A number of studies show that Stevia can be beneficial in the treatment of many health conditions. Stevia is believed to have anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-microbial, anti-oxidant, anti-glycemic, and anti-hypertensive properties which may help with hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes, chronic fatigue, indigestion, upset stomach, heartburn, weight loss, cold and flu, gingivitis, tooth decay, cavities, dandruff and hair loss, brittle bones or osteoporosis, streptococcus, candidiasis, bacterial infections and skin conditions such as cuts, wounds, rashes, itchiness, blemishes, acne, seborrhoeic dermatitis, dermatitis, eczema, and wrinkles. It may also improve energy levels, strengthen immune system, stimulate mental activity, and may also help in withdrawl from tobacco and alcohol addiction.
Growing Stevia.
Sow seeds shallowly in a well-drained soil mix in flats at a temperature of 68-75 F (20-24 C). Transplant to 3" pots when seedlings are large enough to handle. Do not over-water. For bushier plants, pinch back growing tips every few weeks for the first 1-2 months after germination.Stevia is also an ideal plant to grow in containers as a houseplant, or in the greenhouse. For container growing, choose a pot that is at least 14" across, and provide soil that is well-drained. Maintain even soil moisture, and provide shade in extreme heat.
How to harvest.
Pick in the morning and before flowering occurs for highest sugar content. Leaves may be harvested throughout the season once the plant has become established, with the main harvest occurring in September or October. Fresh or dried leaves are delicious in salads, sauces, and beverages. To dry, hang small bunches of stems in a well-ventilated, dry area out of direct sun. Dried leaves may be ground into powder for storage. Fresh leaves can be used to make a liquid sweetener by steeping one teaspoonful of dried leaves in one cup of boiling water for 5-10 minutes.

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Stevia rebaudiana

Post by M Farooq »

Very interesting! Are you growing it yourself? Has anyone actually tasted the Stevia sweetness. How does it taste like?
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

I have tasted it and its indeed sweet like sugar. Even a healthy plant tends to die after 6 months and behaves like an annual. It can be grown easily from seed but seeds are not readily available.Cost of growing stevia plant from seed is not more than 10 rupees yet nurseries charge atleast rs 100 for a plant.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Is the Stevia sugar commercially available in Pakistan? I recall a TV program on PTV or somewhere else that PCSIR or one of our agricultural institutes is working on this plant. Not sure what happened next.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

M Farooq wrote:Very interesting! Are you growing it yourself? Has anyone actually tasted the Stevia sweetness. How does it taste like?
yes farooq bhai i have recently got two plants...even as annual they are very interesting plants..leaves are as sweet if they are cooked in sugar i mean very sweet.plants are available as imran sb told for 100 per plant.
suffi
City: Haripur
Gardening Interests: kitchen gardenign , landscaping, medicinal plants reading and cultivation,

Post by suffi »

yes it hony plant, i have two different country sources . one from canadian and other from paragoae. i brought seeds from these countries. now i grwoing these plants in my form.
omerkhalid
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Love to grow all types of plants especially Vines, Succulents, bulbs and many more

Post by omerkhalid »

Can any body tell from which nursery i can get this plant
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Gone with the wind.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”