Plant Profile: Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Plant Profile: Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera)

Post by M Farooq »

Botanical Name Aloe vera
Family Aloaceae
Local Name in Urdu Ghee-kawar, Gawar paatha
Common Name Aloe vera, Medicinal Aloe
Life Cycle Evergreen
Cultivar Name Tell us
Fragrant or Not No fragrance
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) Succulent Plant
Height About 2 feet, flowers are borne on a long spike (4-5 ft)
Spacing Closely spaced
Flowering Months Blooms periodically through out the year
Flower Color Orange
Growing Areas Specimen is from Karachi, grows well in warm areas
Frost Tender Yes
Exposure Full sun, tolerates some shade
Soil pH Tolerant
Propagation offsets (baby aloes from the parent plant)
Uses Ornamental, Medicinal Plant
Other Details Aloe vera is a spiny succulent plant well known for its medicinal properties. Aloe vera (gawaar paatha, gheekwaar) is often seen written on shampoo or skin care products. The "jelly" inside the leaves is famous for this healing properties for some skin problems. Some people use the leaves for cooking (care should be exercised in the proper identity of the plant). It is a must have plant for gardeners who are in the "collectors" category. The beautiful orange flowers on a spike attracts a small bluish black bird with a long beak in Karachi ( may be humming bird). Aloe vera are very easy to grow and maintain in the garden. Do not over water this plant. Essentially one can forget after planting (once a week watering is enough). The plant will take care of itself. In few years one can have plenty of baby aloes. If Aloe vera is planted in the ground, it will effectively cover the ground with time i.e. in few years.

The following experience was sent by Mustansir
"The main season for Aloe Vera to flower is Fall but some might also bloom in Spring. After the flower it sometimes produces seeds. When plant is about 5 years aloe vera first blooms. But interestingly Aloe Vera plants which are attached to mother plants for a longer time can blooms in period 2 years also. That's what happened to my Aloe vera as well. The plant Which I bought was of about 1 month and it had suckers(baby Aloe veras) growing with it so, I discarded all except one and That was attached to it for a longer time maybe 1 year and after 1 year I separated it and then after another 1 year both Aloe vera bloomed i.e 2013 fall."
Images by Mustansir billah (our youngest active member)

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Plant Profile: Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera)

Post by mikhurram »

The picture shown above is of an ornamental Aloe Vera variety. The indigenous desi Aloe Vera (Kewar Gandal) has more squishy jell inside the leaves than this variety and is identical to the image shown below. The small purplish black bird bearing resemblance to a hummingbird is actually a sunbird and bees love feasting on Aloe Vera flowers. The benefits of using Aloe Vera are countless. Best known for healing skin conditions and burns it can also be applied for rashes, cold sores, constipation and can even treat dandruff.

I remember reading an article which appeared in dawn and fortunately it's available online and is accessible by clicking on the url shown below in addition to another article which appeared in a gardening magazine.
http://www.dawn.com/news/641178/aloe-ve ... iky-wonder

mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Aloe Vera stems can also be placed in glass flasks having water only.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

mikhurram wrote:The picture shown above is of an ornamental Aloe Vera variety. The indigenous desi Aloe Vera (Kewar Gandal) has more squishy jell inside the leaves than this variety and is identical to the image shown below. The small purplish black bird bearing resemblance to a hummingbird is actually a sunbird and bees love feasting on Aloe Vera flowers. The benefits of using Aloe Vera are countless. Best known for healing skin conditions and burns it can also be applied for rashes, cold sores, constipation and can even treat dandruff
Thanks for the name of the bird, here is the image of the sunbird which visits Aloe vera flowers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Purpl ... G_1893.jpg

I agree, the Aloes I had had thick leaves and tons of jelly inside (growing in ground). May be the plants pictured above are young. There is another common variety which has spots on it? Is that Aloe vera too?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The photos of Aloe Vera grown by Mustansir seem to be of Aloe Maculata an ornamental Aloe Vera owning to less gel inside the leaves. To make it easier for others to understand below are some images of local Aloe Vera cultivated for its gel along with ornamental Aloe Vera cultivars. There are more than 300 varieties of Aloe Vera. In Africa there even an Aloe Vera tree and i have seen some varieties having coloured leaves e.g. Red Aloe Vera.

They are very easier to cultivate from pups or side shoots and those considering to grow them from seed should remember that the seed pods form after flowering. These pod should be left on the plants to dry. When the first pods begin to burst, is the time to remove the seed heads. Cut them with secateurs, place these seed heads in a paper bag, then shake and the seeds will fall out in to the bag.

Desi Aloe Vera having more jell inside.

Ornamental Aloe variety which possibly may be Aloe Arborescens

Ornamental Aloe variety which may be Aloe humilis

Ornamental Aloe similar to the one posted by Mustansir. Colour of leaves is due to cold exposure. The name of this cultivar might be Aloe Mitriformis.

Ornamental Aloe vera varieties are at the back and the desi cultivar having thicker leaves is at the front.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

very well elaborated sir..... :D i was also confused with aloes.thanks for this effort.very usefull. :) :mrgreen:
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Thanks for adding more information.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”