Plant Profile: Viola odorata (Sweet Violet, Banafsha)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Plant Profile: Viola odorata (Sweet Violet, Banafsha)

Post by M Farooq »

Botanical Name Viola odorata
Family Violaceae
Genus Viola
Specie odorata
Local Name in Urdu Banafsha , Gul-e-banafsha
Common Name Sweet violet
Life Cycle Perennial
Cultivar Name Many cultivars exist
Fragrant or Not Very fragrant
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) Ground cover
Height Approx. 3 inches
Spacing Grows closely, at times covers the ground
Flowering Months Late winter to early spring
Flower Color Violets and its shades
Growing Areas Native plant of Pakistan as per the "Flora of Pakistan" "Frequently cultivated in gardens, up to 1900 m". The pictured specimen is growing in Lahore
Frost Tender Tell us
Exposure Prefers shade
Soil pH Tell us
Propagation Rhizomes
Uses Medicinal Plant, Floral Display
Other Details [Text by M. I. Khurram] This elusive perennial is not known to many people and makes an ideal groundcover for shaded areas bearing vibrant green, heart shaped leaves and tiny dainty purple flowers. Whenever we hear of violet, our mind registers the image of spring annual pansies widely grown in our gardens. Adaptable to our climate Viola Odorata grows in the wild in mostly in our northern areas, Kashmir and is also native to Europe as well. It prefers a shaded environment or an area having very little sunshine (morning preferably), good drainage & moisture especially during our hot summers. Violas thrive in a rich soil having leaf mould. The size of the flower is very small approximately 1/4 the size of a pansy flower.

I would suggest growing this plant in a pot first and later after it has multiplied then divide and consider placing it a soil bed but again the this plant is very particular about soil having richness, good drainage and a shaded portion having little sunshine preferably not the afternoon sun, and roots of this plant prefer moisture.
Photography: M. I. Khurram
Sahar811
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fragrant flowers, different types of basils, flowers in general.

Re: Plant Profile: Viola odorata (Sweet Violet, Banafsha)

Post by Sahar811 »

I just got this! Thank you for the detailed info.

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”