Agapanthus

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Agapanthus

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Hamad wrote:
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:On my visit to USA I saw them in bloom at many places, mostly blue some light blue and a few white.
I did not consider them worth taking home.
sir what sort of climatic conditions were they blooming in? if you could share I mean cold or hot because USA is massive and all the states has different climate conditions because they also bloom in UK but whole UK is cold.

Hamad
Above picture was taken on 21st June 2013 at Sanfransisco Californea
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Hamad wrote:discussion was so rapid, that our post get merged into one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hamad
:o :o that is rare.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

There is no doubt that this plant is fussy and tests the skills of even experienced gardeners due to potential problems listed below which tend to occur. A few years ago i came across an article on Agapanthus and some of the information is being shared from that article.

1. Leaves from the tip to the base of the rhizome tend to die back caused by a fungus. This is fairly common in Lahore especially during the humid months of May, June, July & August and i know several pros based in Lahore whose Agapanthus plants rotted during these months. This however can be prevented by spraying the entire plant with a fungicide.

2. Brown marks appearing on unopened flowers indicate a fungal disease known as 'Botrys Rot'. This can be treated by spraying the buds with a fungicide before and after their opening.

3. Another reason why it's suited for pros is its senstivity to watering and a particular type of medium which should be well drained having ample quantities of compost along with bark chips. Being a drought tolerant, Agapanthus can withstand periods of drought due to its thicky fleshy roots where food and water is stored. Novices oftend tend to kill a plant with overwatering and experience difficulty providing the right medium.

4. Not only in Pakistan but also in certain parts of South Africa like the Cape region, several casaulties cases of Agapanthus dyeing mysteriously have been reported. it is believed that this that this is caused by a parasitic worm having redhead which eats the rhizome of the plant by boring down the stem of the plant. To prevent such types of attacks the falded leaves and other debris from the plant should be cleared reguarly and if a plant starts dyeing then dig into the rhizome to looks for damage caused by this worm.

5. Vigil has to be kept on snails which love to take shelter on its leaves.

Having said this and i am sure those thinking of growing them may might be scratching their heads.

There are some species which may be harder for our regions. The Agapanthus family includes two evergreeen species, namely Agapanthus africanus & Agapanthus praecox, and four decidous species (A campanulatus, A caulescens, A codddii & A inapertus).

Agapanthus africanus has a better chance of surviving in Lahore & Islamabad.

Agapanthus praecox fares better in coastal regions due it can tolerate the strong winds and salty air and Karachi seems to be more suited for it.

Finally decidous varieties listed above for colder regions like Murree.

Under my criteria (surival of the fittest) Agapanthus doesn't fit in as i have stopped growing plants requiring fuss and care like Orchids , Proteas etc.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Under my criteria (surival of the fittest) Agapanthus doesn't fit in as i have stopped growing plants requiring fuss and care like Orchids , Proteas etc.
I too.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

I really do appreciate your effort of adding into this entry to help people understand this plant and make it bloom/success in their gardens, I hope it would really help to those who are looking forward to experiment on this plant in near future.
thanks Khurram
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Plants requiring fuss & care like Orchids, Proteas etc.
i totally agree & do not grow plats with lot of care.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Whats the age of plant? Is there any signs of blooms?
Rafique
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

By 2014 October, it will be 4 year old (it is the same shared before, this is today's pic)
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

No sign of bloom yet...

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”