Hi ....This is Farhan a new gardener!

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Hi ....This is Farhan a new gardener!

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

AOA
I am Farhan Ahmed, New member to this nice forum, this is my first post but :D secretly I have been visiting this forum since months daily and learning from you people especially Izhar and Mr Arif for which I am thankful.

I am new to gardening, but i have spent a lot of time learning through websites and other sources. Precisely saying I developed almost a craze of gardening in late November last year when I shift to a house with two cultivable(highly uncultivated land) and thought of making it into something.

I belong to Karachi but presently I am posted to Risalpur. I serve in PAF. My zone could be something like 9, and we had winters that could easily deter new gardeners, but somehow I persisted. In this way gardening taught me patience.

I have two gardens, a front one which is pure north facing (most difficult as I have realized) and a south one which I have been using for vegetables and now for growing seedlings. Presently I am anxiously waiting for the spring as I growing all the possible annuals available in KPK. I experimented during this time with almost all ventures of gardening including seed growing, perennials, rockery, vegetables and what not. sharing some Pics below for a prelude to a colorful spring i am expecting this year. Thanks…and anxiously wanting to be active member of this forum.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1103060202 ... YSbx5WZYA#
Farhan Ahmed

Re: Hi ....This is Farhan a new gardener!

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Sorry for the effort of opening link....can somebody help me about attaching pics in the forum....
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Dear Farhan,

Welcome to the forum. So what are you planing to grow now? for posting the images, plz check this topic by Mir Afzal sb.
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... f=29&t=223
ayub

Post by ayub »

Welcome aboard Farhan
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Farhan welcome to the forum. Just checked your pictures, brilliant. The pansy, cineraria and gazania are looking great. Do let us know how your strawberries grow. Keep it up :)
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Thank you Farhan,I hope your tenure in PAF is as pleasent as were my 28 years. Risalpur is best for bulbs and roses. WELCOME
Arif
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thanks Mr.Ayub.....

@ Sir Arif.....Sir confirm you served in PAF? Couldnt find much bulbs around here expect one odd.....will Insha Allah look for them in Islo.

@Khabbab....Thanks....Ahhhhh after seeing your blog so many times it heartening to share pics with you....

@ Izhar....Thanks for the help....will try.....I am growing a long list of annuals, as I wanted to try everything these include Verbena, Godetia , African Daisy (Dimorpotheca), Pansy, Petunia, Stock , Dianthus Pink, Carnation, Calceolaria, Nemesia Denticulate, Aster, Hollyhock, Cosmos, Phlox, Poppy, Calendula Officinalis, Cineraria, Snapdragons, Alyssum, Dahlia, Nasturtium, Celosia, Mimulus, Portulaca, Statice, Ranunculus, Sunflower, Sweet Pea, Geranium, Paper Flower, Flox, Dianthus Sweet Williams, French marigold (Survived Winter), Stock Dwarf, Gillardia, Annual Chrysanthemum and some perennials such as Gerbera , Gazinia, Pelargonium, Roses and few more.

There is a variety called chanditap and alcea can you tell me their English names?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

chanditap is I guess Candytuft (Iberis) and Alcea is Althea rosea (Hollyhock)
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Hmmmm i think you are right about candytuft .......
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Farhan, yes from 1962 to 1990. Bulbs you keep collecting and can carry along with you. I acquired Pancratium bulbs in 1950 and still have them.

Return to “Introduction”