Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

Post by M Farooq »

akheilos wrote:And I repeat myself again....I contacted a number of people who are working on Strawberry....or who have published since the last 5 yrs (just to make sure they are not retired). And PARC was one of the 1st I did contact who never responded back.

I am absolutely disgusted with the lack of interest of "experts" to collaborate hence why I asked for enthusiasts who would be interested in actually explaining if they saw something (This is commonly done in Europe that you ask the local population).

If PARC had been helpful (which you can google) there is no reason I should be on this forum, right?
As you said, there is a pattern that nobody is replying to your queries, chances are there might be a reason. I have been trying to explain you that you might be asking too much from the professionals without providing any incentive. What you are asking is indeed lot of work - professional work. You wrote to invite people for collaborations but as we said earlier collaborations rarely proceed by email (you had probably mentioned Cambridge/ Eurpoe, and you saw that it still did not matter to most people). The details you are interested in can only be given by someone who has spent some time in studying strawberry species and their distributions. It is true that there is a severe lack of interest in science in our country because there are bigger problems. My sincere advice to you is that you make personal contacts in professional conferences and do a very thorough survey of the existing botanical literature (that may take a month if done properly). Reading what has been done before by others often prevents re-invention of the wheel. Wish we could be of help anymore!
akheilos
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: More interested in agricultural research...

Post by akheilos »

M Farooq wrote:As you said, there is a pattern that nobody is replying to your queries, chances are there might be a reason. I have been trying to explain you that you might be asking too much from the professionals without providing any incentive.
Then there is def something wrong with some people....We dont put out incentives....We put forward cooperation/ collaboration and they put forward what they want or compromise....Coz we are the ones who want something we seek it...Ask if it is available...You dont put a price to something you dont know if it is available that is like asking for jackals to surround and loot you!
M Farooq wrote: What you are asking is indeed lot of work - professional work.
No I didnt...We get a lot of emails to collaborate and we send a lot out to do the same...We already collaborate with 5 institutes in Europe including 1 in UK and we also have collaboration with Japan...I dont think WE are doing something wrong....Cant be 6 institutes around the world have it wrong and Pakistanis are the only ones who got it right?

My other institute has collaborations from USA to Spain and further East Europe .....Again it cant be the whole world is wrong in this field except Pakistan now can it?

M Farooq wrote: You wrote to invite people for collaborations but as we said earlier collaborations rarely proceed by email (you had probably mentioned Cambridge/ Eurpoe, and you saw that it still did not matter to most people).
And that is the shocker! No I didnt mention Cambridge....I mentioned what we did and we would like to know what kind of strawberries are available in Pakistan and as per the research (each email was catering to the institute/ person based on what I had read about online - publication/ article/ website) we are interested in knowing if this kind of research is done if so where can we find info and if not could we know how to get some Pakistani strawberries/ seeds (I know some institutes keep some and asked them if I could have some as per the website I had to email them) Now either directions are not right, the people lack interest or are just simply as it is....LAZY!

M Farooq wrote: The details you are interested in can only be given by someone who has spent some time in studying strawberry species and their distributions.
Yes and that is what I asked coz those whom I asked had a publication and had claimed where they got the plant from (name of town/ institute if its their own I asked for it as we ask any other seed bank)
M Farooq wrote: It is true that there is a severe lack of interest in science in our country because there are bigger problems.

That is what I fear....Because I used the same protocol we used for Europe and America...Heck we even have some collaborators in Australia but for Apple and blueberries...
M Farooq wrote: My sincere advice to you is that you make personal contacts in professional conferences and do a very thorough survey of the existing botanical literature (that may take a month if done properly). Reading what has been done before by others often prevents re-invention of the wheel. Wish we could be of help anymore!
That is also another approach I tried...we had 2 conferences since I have tried this....AND NOT ONE Pakistani came to present/ not even poster presentation not even to take part (I know caz I was 1 of the organization committee who saw which country each person came from) we had people from all over even india but none from Pakistan...Oh the frustration to even help some to help themselves!
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

NO COMMENTS
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:NO COMMENTS
:)
yawer
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

Today while searching for Black Berries for adding to my living fence (was successful in getting four Black berries plants), I found Wild Strawberries just ahead of NathiaGali. These were just besides the Black Berries plants. I shall see if these black berries can adapt to new place.Posting the pictures of wild strawberries as this post was about that;
P7244530.jpg
P7244531.jpg
P7244532.jpg
Yawer
yawer

Post by yawer »

one more picture of the wild strawberry, (kindly see it is my assumption that it was wild strawberry, correct me if I am wrong ! It had a nice taste)
P7244533.jpg
Yawer
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

You bit them and they did not hit back they must be genteel and not wild. :lol:
Usama
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Plants, Roses, vines, Pruning & Training

Post by Usama »

wow yawer
yawer

Post by yawer »

:lol:
Yawer
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

yawer wrote:Today while searching for Black Berries for adding to my living fence (was successful in getting four Black berries plants), I found Wild Strawberries just ahead of NathiaGali. These were just besides the Black Berries plants. I shall see if these black berries can adapt to new place.Posting the pictures of wild strawberries as this post was about that;
P7244530.jpg
P7244531.jpg
P7244532.jpg
This is interesting from looking at the fruit I was gonna say it looks like a Rubus (same genus as raspberries and blackberries) but the leaves look very much like Fragaria (Strawberry) let me get back to you ...I need to compare the leaves and fruits to known ones....and also rule out rubus as the fruits looks very much like Rubus

Return to “Introduction”